Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2010, 11:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Help! Newcomer trying to install pantry shelves

Dear carpentry gods, I just got my first house and since it's summer, the project list is starting to fill up. I have a 2 door basic rectangular shaped pantry (68''x16''x108''). It came with the wire shelving and it's starting to sag, so I was thinking of taking that out and putting in my own wood pantry shelving. I have a very basic knowledge of carpentry and all that, and have basic tools like drills and handsaws, etc.

My plan was to put in wood shelving and then maybe attach 1 or 2 small shelves underneath the larger ones that could slide out. What I need is really a rundown of what needs to happen as well as any suggestions/designs you all might have about best methods and/or other options to consider as far as the layout or materials.

So far I was thinking of attaching blocks of wood to the walls and having the boards sit on them, and then attaching a few of the L shaped brackets under the shelves for added support. I'm not sure what wood to get, or if you hopefully can already buy it with veneer on it. I'm hoping some place like Lowe's has it already. Any information from you all is much appreciated, after reading a bunch of the posts on this site I'm being inspired to pick up a hammer!

Thanks

louriec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Is the shelving going along the 68" or 108" side (or both)?

Troglodyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:53 AM   #3

Sorry I should have specified. The 68'' is the length of the shelf and the 100ish'' measurement is the height which I guess isn't as important since I already know how many shelves I'm going to put in. Thanks all
Old 06-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

One more question, is the intended result functional shelves, or functional shelves that look great?
Troglodyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:30 PM   #5

Functional shelves that looks as great as a newcomer like myself can make them. I think that my above mentioned strategy will work well, it's really more the slide out shelves i'm more worried about. Don't know how or what types of screws etc to use