Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2009, 01:37 AM   #1

Share |

Help with mezzanine span specs

I plan to build mezzanine for light storage at my shop. There will be hardly any traffic but 1 person would need to go up on occasion to pull something down

I'm planning the following. 2 x 6 joists, 8 feet long. 24" centres. Cantilever about 1 foot past the beam. 4 x 4 posts, 10 feet high, placed every 6 feet. Double beam using 2x6. The floor will be 1 inch plywood. 2 x 6 ledger. I plan to put some cross beams from the posts to the joist at 45 degree angles. the posts are also supported 3.5 feet up from the floor by the structure i'm building below

I have been reading tables for over an hour and my head is hurting. I need to know whether this will support a small load as we plan to store bulky light items. trying to reduce height used and costs..

thank you

Randall Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Clarke View Post
I plan to build mezzanine for light storage at my shop. There will be hardly any traffic but 1 person would need to go up on occasion to pull something down

I'm planning the following. 2 x 6 joists, 8 feet long. 24" centres. Cantilever about 1 foot past the beam. 4 x 4 posts, 10 feet high, placed every 6 feet. Double beam using 2x6. The floor will be 1 inch plywood. 2 x 6 ledger. I plan to put some cross beams from the posts to the joist at 45 degree angles. the posts are also supported 3.5 feet up from the floor by the structure i'm building below

I have been reading tables for over an hour and my head is hurting. I need to know whether this will support a small load as we plan to store bulky light items. trying to reduce height used and costs..

thank you
depending on the structure of shop itself, you may be able to suspend this "shelf" on threaded rod (if that's something that you'd fancy).
what you're describing is way over-kill for what you're trying to accomplish, the one thing you can easily downsize is the decking, go with 3/4".

ClemS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:16 AM   #3

Using doug/fir for all- the joists will carry 50# per sq.ft. live load, including dead load of 9#. 2x6x7' span = 828#/7' = 118/ 2'o.c.= 59#. The beams carry 1560# w. 6' span = 260#/4.5' jst. = 58# including dead load. Floors are rated at 40# ll. plus 10# dead load.

Be safe, Gary
Old 12-15-2009, 08:30 AM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

You said "at my shop". If this indicates a commercial shop somewhere, mezzanines, as opposed to second floors, are looked at very differently by many building departments. Please check out the specific size, safety, and egress requirements for mezzanines in your area. Some of the things they will not let you do can come as a shock.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:37 AM   #5

Yeah, we had a store near use put in a mezzazine for storage
They had to redo a lot because they did not check with building Dept 1st on what was need to meet code & more specific the fire code
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:35 PM   #6

Good catch, Willie!

Be safe, Gary