Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2011, 12:49 AM   #1

Share |

Help me ID this wood!

I hope you don't mind a newbie question. I'm pretty naive about wood/carpentry and am looking for some help from experienced eyes. Can anyone tell me what type of wood this table is made from?

Thanks in advance!

steenbean18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:57 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Help me ID this wood!

Nope. Looks like it might be pieces of cypress. Tell me more about where you found it or how it came to you. Where are you by the way? Please post general location to your profile.

I am looking for a table base and it looks like this piece was once one. The glass on top got broken? It is rather cool. Want to sell it? Or would you like me to send you the shape glass top you should have made for it.

Looks like someone epoxied the top already?

Can you see or count any ring growth? This will help place the species of the tree it came from. I don't see any in the photos which might suggest the table shown is not from a trunk but from branches. Again old cypress pops to mind first.

Last edited by user1007; 11-28-2011 at 01:02 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:13 AM   #3
Disabled wood vet

Help me ID this wood!

If it is about the hardest wood you've ever seen, it's probably manzanita. But in the picture it doesn't look red enough. Did it come from the Southwest?
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:46 AM   #4
Mod

Help me ID this wood!

Looks like Myrtlewood too me.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:05 AM   #5
A "Handy Husband"

Help me ID this wood!

I have a very similar table:

Mine is California Buckeye but there are other varieties

A. arguta (Texas buckeye)
A. californica (California buckeye)
A. flava (sweet buckeye, yellow buckeye)
A. glabra (fetid buckeye, Ohio buckeye, stinking buckeye, Texas buckeye)
A. octandra (sweet buckeye, yellow buckeye)
A. pavia (red buckeye)
A. sylvatica (painted buckeye)
A. turbinata (Japanese buckeye)
Old 11-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #6

Help me ID this wood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steenbean18 View Post
I hope you don't mind a newbie question. I'm pretty naive about wood/carpentry and am looking for some help from experienced eyes. Can anyone tell me what type of wood this table is made from?

Thanks in advance!
something with a big burl maybe?
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Help me ID this wood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanoman View Post
If it is about the hardest wood you've ever seen, it's probably manzanita. But in the picture it doesn't look red enough. Did it come from the Southwest?
Nope! Wrong color and manzanita would not have a cross section that large. Thanks for reminding me of perhaps my fave California tree though.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:44 PM   #8

Help me ID this wood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by forresth View Post
something with a big burl maybe?
It is calafornia buckeye wood. I have use lot's of it in tables. I still have some. They get the wood from stumps. They did then up. As far as i know no calafornia buck eye tree's. Not wht ohio is a buck eye state but the wood isn't like that. Nice wood It is a dry wood .
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:44 PM   #9

Help me ID this wood!

Thanks for the replies! Of all the woods listed so far, the california buckeye looks pretty close. I can see a few rings, but they're not consistent like redwood. When we purchased it, it was listed as "sequoia" but it doesn't look dark enough or large enough to me. It's kind of hard to tell because it's pretty heavily epoxied. Does being coated already affect the value of the piece? We purchased it at auction. Also, the top has some cracks in the epoxy. Any ideas on repairing them? Other than that, it's a beautiful table! Our intent is to sell it, but it's tempting to keep it. TIA!
Old 11-30-2011, 06:34 AM   #10

Help me ID this wood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steenbean18 View Post
Thanks for the replies! Of all the woods listed so far, the california buckeye looks pretty close. I can see a few rings, but they're not consistent like redwood. When we purchased it, it was listed as "sequoia" but it doesn't look dark enough or large enough to me. It's kind of hard to tell because it's pretty heavily epoxied. Does being coated already affect the value of the piece? We purchased it at auction. Also, the top has some cracks in the epoxy. Any ideas on repairing them? Other than that, it's a beautiful table! Our intent is to sell it, but it's tempting to keep it. TIA!
All you have to do is make a pour of good epoxy right over the old stuff. It will blind any scratches and fill in the crack's in the old epoxy. Now make this in one pour . If you havent poured epoxy before. Let me give you a hint when you pour it will have little bubbles in the epoxy right after the pour. Now to get rid of that. Their are a couple way's they have a bubble breaker which is in a spray bottle which is just for this. You will have ask for it . You may have to order this epoxy and bubble breaker on line. Or if you have a butane tortch you go over the pour with the flame about around 4" above the epoxy you will see the bubble's break. Do this just after the pour. Now in about 1/2 hour do this again that will be enough. Now don't get to close or you will boil the epoxy. If this happen's wait tell the next day and it probly will look bad if so take a sander with 50 grit and sand it out now you will have to make another complete pour so all is not lost. I have poured 100's of these epoxy item's over the yrs. Also the same with dust or if you do this in the shop or where ever try and make sure their aren't any nite flying critter's about. Also put cardboard under the iten don't let the epoxy get on the floor or it will be their for ever. After it has set up over nite you will have to sand off the drip's around the edge. To put epoxy on the edge of the wood use a thro away brush and just brush epoxy on like painting don't spare the stuff. Good luck if more info need check back as far as being already coated doesn't make any difference should make it better the buyer doesn't have to do it
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:01 PM   #11
STAFF

Help me ID this wood!

One of the members on the DIY's sister site
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/searc...earchid=752679
has this site for IDing wood,
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #12

Help me ID this wood!

I have some closer-up pictures of the table:

For those of you with experience in these pieces, any idea what it's worth?