Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #1

Share |

Help Identify Trim

I am planning to extend my fireplace mantel to one side but I am having a hard time identifying the trim. I've looked at Home Depot, but they don't have anything like it in stock. I'm sure its a standard decorative trim, but I just don't know what it's called.

The top of the mantel looks like its just an oval type of trim with a small crown molding underneath it--both can be found at HD.

However, I can't find the decorative panel trim shown on the face of the mantel.

loftezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #2

Help Identify Trim

Almost looks like a fancy screen bead.
http://www.eastcoastmouldings.com/ma...ubcategory=129

How old would you guess that trim is?
The reason I ask is many years ago there was no HD or Lowes and it was common to have local planning mills make there own trim with there own knives made in house.
So you end up with what I call reginal trim. By that I mean it was only used in that one area and does not match any stock mouldings.
Are there any really old real lumber yards in your area that may be more help then any box store on this one?

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #3

Help Identify Trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Almost looks like a fancy screen bead.
http://www.eastcoastmouldings.com/ma...ubcategory=129

How old would you guess that trim is?
The reason I ask is many years ago there was no HD or Lowes and it was common to have local planning mills make there own trim with there own knives made in house.
So you end up with what I call reginal trim. By that I mean it was only used in that one area and does not match any stock mouldings.
Are there any really old real lumber yards in your area that may be more help then any box store on this one?
The screen bead looks very close (if not identical) to my trim. I'll have to measure more precise to be sure, but it looks like a match.

The trim is probably from the 40's and there are plenty of lumber yards around my area that I can contact.

Thanks for the tip and the link!
loftezy is offline   Reply With Quote