Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2011, 04:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Help. Drilled hole too large

Hi,

I am completely new to home repair and I'm afraid that I've just made a mistake and I'm not sure how to fix. I was just hanging the brackets for a toilet paper roll using the provided drywall anchors / screws. The first one went up without issues. Unfortunately, I drilled and drilled and drilled with a 3/16" bit in preparation to drive the second drywall anchor and I just couldn't get through the drywall. Of course I was drilling into a stud.

Obviously I should have used a stud finder ahead of time to check, but hindsight is 20/20 and I'm just figuring out all of this stuff as I go along. So, now I've got a deep 3/16" hole in a stud into which I need to drive a small screw and I'm not sure what to do. Is there some kind of putty or something I can fill the hole in with and then drive a screw into? Help.

Thanks in advance.

-rs1971

rs1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Tap in some toothpicks or a golf tee and then try the screw

sixeightten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:41 PM   #3
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightten View Post
Tap in some toothpicks or a golf tee and then try the screw
Either that or just get a longer screw
woodworkbykirk (11-16-2011)
Old 11-16-2011, 06:07 PM   #4

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I ended up just buying some KwikWood which I'll use to fill the hole and then drive the screw from scratch. It was probably $5 of overkill but at least now I know that the stuff exists.

-rs1971
rs1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 22

I split up wood shims or even a carpenters pencil and pound them into the holes---
Old 11-16-2011, 08:33 PM   #6

Sounds like you hit a protective plate. Stop drilling and figure out what's going on.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:42 PM   #7
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 6

just use a longer screw that matches the color of the ones that came with bracket.. its easier than filling the hole you made
woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:37 AM   #8

Silly question, but the original post makes me wonder...

...did you not hit blocking on the first hoel you drilled?
Planning: Kitchen Reno
Thadius856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:44 AM   #9

Beware of using a longer screw. You might hit an electrical wire or a pipe.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:50 AM   #10

All you helpful hannahs should read the inital post before suggesting longer screws and any other "helpful" advice.
OP said, "Unfortunately, I drilled and drilled and drilled with a 3/16" bit in preparation to drive the second drywall anchor and I just couldn't get through the drywall. Of course I was drilling into a stud. "
Since when does a drill bit stop at a stud?
Old 11-17-2011, 08:49 AM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
All you helpful hannahs should read the inital post before suggesting longer screws and any other "helpful" advice.
OP said, "Unfortunately, I drilled and drilled and drilled with a 3/16" bit in preparation to drive the second drywall anchor and I just couldn't get through the drywall. Of course I was drilling into a stud. "
Was thinking the same thing. And prior posts suggest he may have hit a safety plate and responsible electrician or plumber put in place. The plate was put there for a reason! To keep idiots from drilling into conduit, romex or copper plumbing lines? Maybe? Just guessing?

When I am not sure where to hang something like a toilet paper thingie, especially in a bath area, I cut a 2" square out of the drywall/plaster/lath I know I can wing patch in a few minutes and then take a flashlight and mirror to the situation. I have liked my clients over the years. I always wonder if I had not? Would I put a carbide or diamond bit in the drill and go through the drywall and protective plate and just nick the hot water line to leak enough so people had no idea where the leak was coming from.

Seriously, I cannot tell you how many times my teams were called to fix damage from a towel rack or toilet dispenser being installed by a home owner that punctured either a hot/cold water supply line. Same situation as described by the OP. Cannot seem to get the drill through the drywall and the stud seems really hard.

Last edited by user1007; 11-17-2011 at 08:56 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:07 AM   #12
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
It never stated it stopped, you are making that assumption as how you call in "helpful hannahs" are making a different assumption, the question is did you read the entire post as it did say, "So, now I've got a deep 3/16" hole in a stud".

Never said anything about metal shavings.

Mark
woodworkbykirk (11-17-2011)
Old 11-17-2011, 09:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
It never stated it stopped, you are making that assumption as how you call in "helpful hannahs" are making a different assumption, the question is did you read the entire post as it did say, "So, now I've got a deep 3/16" hole in a stud".

Never said anything about metal shavings.

Mark
Good point.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:23 AM   #14
Too Short? Cut it Again!

But the OP said he had trouble getting his drill bit through the drywall? Come on. The guy hit the protective plate the electrician and plumber left as a clue for him.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #15
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Come on. It is a toilet paper holder at the end of the day. I cannot imagine that moving it down or over a few inches will change his defacating habits. Or those of his entire family.

I am sticking by my story suggestion that there are either electrical lines or copper plumbing near those protective plates he tried to drill through.

As for patching the hole? I would use 5 minute hot mud but 20-45 is safer for novices.