Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-13-2008, 12:31 PM   #1

Share |

Help with doors!

I am beginner carpentry person. I can do the basics. I just tackled and successfully completed installing a prehung split jamb interior door. MY wife and I have purchased a small apartment building. I have a guy here in town that is an expert door person (factory trained by all and a factory rep)he was and is willing to do my door work but cost is becoming a factor. All improvements come from my pocket money. I have 6 36"x80" exterior doors to replace. I am putting steel doors. These are being placed into a 2x6 plate wall with sheetrock inside and what I call T11 wood siding exterior. The guy is charging me quite a bit to take out and install these doors. The first he did with a regular 4" jamb prehung unit and built jamb extensions? to make it fit. Is this acceptable and can someone direct me step by step to do this myself. If I have my figures right, he charged $100 for the door, $90 for the jamb, and $140 to remove and install. I can buy 4" jamb prehung steel all day at Home depot for $129 and then install and extend if I could get some good directions and help. By the way the door is not in direct weather but under a 4' wide porch roof. I am listening.

MTD2799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:44 PM   #2
gravity always wins

Help with doors!

You need to be careful with that combination. The hinges are setting back from the face of the wall 2 inches. You need to be sure the door can open and stop against something before it binds up against the jamb extension. If it hits the jamb extension first it's garanteed that a tenant will split the jamb or strip the hinge screws, causing you plenty of work. I'd price out the correct size jamb for your wall thickness. With all of the 2x6 wall construction today, they are not really a specialty anymore.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 06:20 AM   #3

Help with doors!

This may be different. I was planning on the Jamb extensions on the outside of the door, away from the hinges. Like I said this door is under a 4 or 5 foot porch that runs the length of the building, so not directly exposed to rain. Thanks for the reply, keep talking to me.
MTD2799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 06:53 AM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Help with doors!

My advice is to pay a pro to do it. Main entry doors are very, very finicky to install. Even though there is an overhang, that does not mean the door is protected from storm driven rains and snow.
The fact that each door requires custom fabricating and properly installing a 4" jamb extension, compounds the need for a professional installation.
Additionally, this is the main entry door in a rental property. There is security involved. You have a responsibility to properly install a safe and secure door, with properly aligned locking mechanisms, and being securely anchored.

If you are lost on all these aspects, then, again, I advise you to get these doors professionally installed.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 07:24 AM   #5

Help with doors!

$140 to remove and install an exterior door is a real bargain. I would say to work with this person he sounds very, very resonable to me. It may be difficult to find someone else in your area that would do the job for anywhere near his price.

http://www.handymanjimnoonan.com
Handyman Jim Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:01 AM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Help with doors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Jim Noonan View Post
$140 to remove and install an exterior door is a real bargain. I would say to work with this person he sounds very, very resonable to me. It may be difficult to find someone else in your area that would do the job for anywhere near his price.

http://www.handymanjimnoonan.com
When I first read the OP's post, I didn't realize that the overall total of the prices also INCLUDED the door. Wow...That is a bargain!!
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:32 PM   #7
Licensed Contractor

Help with doors!

You're getting a bargain from a guy who - it sounds like - knows what he's doing (jamb ext'n on the exterior, you are correct.)
As the siding is T1-11, a notorious siding to flash correctly, you should stick with the guy and save yourself some headache down the road. I've seen too many entry doors installed by people who didn't know how, and they always rub the jambs somewhere, or worse, leak.
Renovator,LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:38 PM   #8
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Help with doors!

Correct extend the jamb on the extior, but The door should of been ordered for the proper wall thickness. How is he going to extend the aluminum threshold if you extend the jamb on the outside. The manufacture usually installs a sill expander.. Are you planing on hanging any storm doors?? The bottom sweep of the storm will become an issue.

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote