Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2011, 09:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Help with cutting stair stringers

Hi guys...any help with this question I have on cutting these stair stringers would be appreciated. I understand calculating the rise and run, and using that to measure riser height and tread depth....but what I have is kind of a simple and probably obvious question. When beginning to mark with my square....where exactly do I start on the 2x12? Do I need to leave a certain amount of room at the top/bottom of the stringer or start a specific distance in?

Hopefully this makes sense, and I can provide more information if needed.

dukes32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:43 PM   #2
Stairguy

Rewards Points: 500

do not start right on the end. If you start about 8" in you will be fine. Keep in mind that the 1st line you draw is likely the bottom of your 1st tread (but not always). So you will need room for your 1st riser, which is drawn square off the begining of your 1st line.

Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Thanks.....I took a gamble and bought precut stringers at a local home store. The top riser is 8 1/4" where code requires no larger than 8". Now I get to give this DIY project another shot. We shall see........
dukes32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,340

If you get the height from the finished floor, to the finished floor of the next floor, you can get custom cut stringers made. May cost a bit more. Also, there are calculators out on the web that can help with the calculations for run & rise, so you do not waste any wood. Here is one I found with a quick yahoo search http://stairstringercalculator.com/index.html Here are some others http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...&cop=&ei=UTF-8

Most of those are Excel Spreadsheets, but may run in Open Office or Google Documents Spreadsheet, if you do not have Microsoft Office.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukes32 View Post
Hi guys...any help with this question I have on cutting these stair stringers would be appreciated. I understand calculating the rise and run, and using that to measure riser height and tread depth....but what I have is kind of a simple and probably obvious question. When beginning to mark with my square....where exactly do I start on the 2x12? Do I need to leave a certain amount of room at the top/bottom of the stringer or start a specific distance in?

Hopefully this makes sense, and I can provide more information if needed.
Duke,
on a 2 x 12 stringer, I mark a line 2" from the top edge and use this line for marking out the treads and risers. This leaves you room for the nosing on each tread without projecting past the top edge of the stringer. Really not that hard to do. Fun project. Get a couple of stair buttons for you framing square and give it a shot.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:46 PM   #6
Stair builder

Rewards Points: 250

This might help
Keith Mathewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:27 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

There is an awesome app for the iPad that will give you your stair stringer layout in minutes. It is called StairBuilderPro. Check it out. You will find it useful.
CVGFir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #8
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,340

Checked out that app. Not bad for five bucks.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote