Help-Bowed Wood And Some Cut Under Needed Length - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2007, 07:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Help-Bowed Wood and some cut under needed length

Hi,

LONG story short I got stuck/taken with common pine 1X12X12's that were cut to the longest length I need and so now I get home...another long story and now I am stuck with them...

Point being...

#1 I bought them to make book shelves and I see most are bowed and need to figure out how to work with this...

#2 I was going to cut them myself down to the exact sizes as I am pretty handy with a circular saw (which is all I could get my hands on) and my dear old father got controlling as usual and cut some under the 30" I wanted! So now I want to cut them all down to shore them up but have limited tools and finances.

I have a circular saw I can use but that would be tedious because some of the shelves are only about 1/8" off and some are 1/4" off.

My tools also includes a scroll saw, a router and a 3/8" drill press. Unfortunately I can't use a hand plane because of my fibro...

So...I am wondering...I guess the scroll saw blades can't handle such thick wood?? And then is there maybe something I can buy to attach to my drill press to get the edges straightened out?

My father had the brilliant idea of leaving it and just screwing in and pulling the wood together-guess he is not bright enough to picture the terrible gaps I would have!

I wish I could go out and buy a table saw or an electric planer etc...but I can't.

So any help with what I have would be a great help.

Thanks!

Der Schuhmacher

Advertisement

Last edited by DerSchuhmacher; 01-13-2007 at 07:32 AM.
DerSchuhmacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 10:00 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

#1 I bought them to make book shelves and I see most are bowed and need to figure out how to work with this...
I really don't know how to fix these bows without some kind of planer but I think I would install them bow down so the books sit level.
#2 I was going to cut them myself down to the exact sizes as I am pretty handy with a circular saw (which is all I could get my hands on) and my dear old father got controlling as usual and cut some under the 30" I wanted! So now I want to cut them all down to shore them up but have limited tools and finances.
If you can get a hold of a piece of 3/4" plywood around 24" square and a set of saw horses you can make shift your own table saw useing your skill saw. Attach your skill saw around 8 inches away from side edge of plywood then with your skill saw lifted so the blade is all the way up start it and slowly push it through so the bade protrudes down enough to just clear your base thickness and your 1x material plus 1/8" and shut off. Now turn the whole thing upside down and screw to a set of saw horses. Now simply measure from the blade over and attach a straight edge exackly the width you want. Use a piece of scrap wood to check your width and you should be off to the races. Remember you will not have a blade guard and should be extremly carefull.
Attached Thumbnails
Help-Bowed Wood and some cut under needed length-homemadetablesaw.jpg  

Advertisement

Darylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:46 AM   #3
Oldguy

Just use a framing square held securely to what you are cutting as a guide for your circular saw, Use a good blade (like a 49 tooth frued ) and get a nice smooth cut.

ASE certified master auto tech, Retired.
Rehabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 03:11 PM   #4

Thanks for the tips! Iwill look into the plywood table and if not I will get the special blade.

Have a great weekend
Old 01-14-2007, 09:27 AM   #5

Ooopps I some how thought you needed to rip them down not cut them to length, If this is so then Rehabber is right, just use a square and a good blade. Run a knife blade cut on your marks to help minamise the tear out. Sorry for the mistake.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:33 AM   #6

Thanks for the clarification
Old 01-17-2007, 09:06 PM   #7
Handyguy

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Make friends with somone with some tools and experience to help you. Show more respect for your father too.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:46 PM   #8

I have been doing just that-trying to find someone with tools and such but for some reason it's hard to find anyone.

I know this is NOT the place to discuss fathers but you commented I should show more respect for him. Sorry but you have NO clue how he is...very very verbally abusive and manipulating and always laughs at me or puts me down. He never supports me or shows me a better way. He just told me I did not have a relationship with my mother who was the most important thing to me on the entire face of this earth and said a bunch of other things as well. Today he called and said I need to call him as if it was a threat. He then came over and had no kind things to say whatsoever. All I ever wanted was to have a relationship with my father, his appreciation or acceptance or something pleasant...and I have always been considered the dirty so-n-so in his mind. Everyone else including my own mother do/did not see me this way. And for some stupid reason his opinion meant the most to me...even when my Mother said to forget it! And she used to get so angry that I let him get to me and turn me into a mess. And my sister's husband said if my father did not STOP treating my sister this way he would forbid the 2 of them to ever see one another again and rightfully so! I have done nothing but respect that man and for what? I told him tonight if he does not stop disrespecting me and always putting me down...I will start on him and never stop. But in reality I will just stay away from him...and if he does to me again-I will give it right back and then walk away-no more being told to stand there and take it (also was out of respect)...no more. Okay enough psychology class I just want to fix my shelves and try to put all the pieces of my life in order and if I have to I use this wood for something else and start over.

I put an ad out on a local site asking for someone willing to work with me so I hope someone will answer. If not, I will just wait until I can get some money and buy a few things which will be a long time coming unfortunately but at least I have patience.

Also I can be very creative and resourceful and mechanically inclined, I even work on my own car most times. I just look at something or learn how to do it and go for it. And the DIY jobs I have done in the past turned out very okay but sometimes something stumps me like this one. LOL

Thanks for all your help though, I think I can work it out with the saw blade the other guy suggested and so on
Old 01-17-2007, 11:33 PM   #9

Have you talked with any of the local lumber yards about running your boards through a thickness planer? The reason I ask is that before I had a planer I used to get my local lumber yard to do my planing for me but you will want to build the shelves right away after doing this and also remember that the shelves will be a little thiner than they are now.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:40 AM   #10

That was part of the problem. I bought the wood at the lumber yard and I was starting to pick the wood out. The 3 I picked were in great shape but then they started and gave me bad wood and they all ready knew it was for bookshelves and so on. Then they were to cut the long boards down to 6'5" and cut them to 8' and did all at the same time with a circular saw and none of them were the same. Then the luan they were to cut 32" wide and 6'5" tall and only cut the 32" width. Thank goodness they did not cut it all down to size after I saw the cuts they did as well. The lumber yards here are of the mentality you are only using the wood for roofing or whatever, so the wood will never show I guess and it seems they think you will have all your own equipment. The thing of it is the boss inside was telling me how much better his wood is than Menard's and later I find out he lied LOL. Menards was going to sell me the medium grade wood for a little less and I was going to get to take my time and pick out the boards since they knew it was for bookshelves and so on. I learned my lesson on that one.

Hard to believe there aren't many guys around my area willing to do this since most of it is done anyway. Ah..but I suppose I could call Menard's and see if they can do this. I wonder how much they would charge-I can call them in the next few days and find out. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2007, 09:39 AM   #11

Ist thing I would do is have a heart to heart chat with the manager of the store and tell them what kind of a mess your in and see if they will take it back or maybe some of it and go from there. Pine in narorius for bowing, if you don't work with it right away after cutting you could have problems.
Is there any way of posting a sketch?, so I can see if there is a way to staighten them out while constructing the bookcase. I work with Laminated pine quite a bit and I have to glue, clamp and screw all the time to get them straight.
Are you staining or painting the bookcase?
Hopefully we can figure out something fore you.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylh View Post
Have you talked with any of the local lumber yards about running your boards through a thickness planer? The reason I ask is that before I had a planer I used to get my local lumber yard to do my planing for me but you will want to build the shelves right away after doing this and also remember that the shelves will be a little thiner than they are now.
Hi Daryl
G'day from Australia
running bowed boards through a thickness-planer won't take the bow out,,, all that will happen is your board will be thinner - and still have the bow,,, tool you need is a jointer...
cheers
Jedo
Jedo_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 07:41 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 500

And face jointing a 12" wide, 3/4" thick board will take the bow out, but you'll end up with a ridiculously thin board. Certainly nothing to hold books. You need a lot of thickness to get rid of bow in a board. It's possible with short pieces or rough lumber (1 1/16" or so thick) to get rid of substantial bow, but once the board is already 3/4" you're stuck with what you've got.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 09:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedo_03 View Post
Hi Daryl
G'day from Australia
running bowed boards through a thickness-planer won't take the bow out,,, all that will happen is your board will be thinner - and still have the bow,,, tool you need is a jointer...
cheers
Jedo
Your right but like a dummy I was I forgot to mention you need a sled and place the bow up. I have done this many times with great success but as mentioned it all depends on how bad the bow is and are they twisted and that you could end up with thinner wood. Oh well he has probably figured this all out by now so I wonder what he ended up doing.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:38 PM   #15

Hey,
I had a lot of things going on for a few months but I am back.
The boards are still sitting stacked in a corner and I decided to get a pic or 2 for you to see what I am talking about. However, I can't see how to add a pic here unless I upload it to a website-is this correct?

Advertisement