Hello From A New OLD Guy - Need Help With Stained (Older) Oak Floor Boards - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-26-2011, 06:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hello From A new OLD Guy - Need Help with Stained (Older) Oak Floor Boards

Howdy Pardners, I learned my trade from 2 old civilian carpenters back in 1966 at the Coast Guard base in Cape May , NJ I was a carpenter for many years. But on heavy & highway projects, then in factories. Now working on my new / house built between 1830 & 1870 ( records lost ) I realize how little I knew. Especially about interior wood projects. I live north of Binghamton, NY
I'm not sure where best to post this my First question but I'll start right here.
I have Oak hardwood floors that i am going to refinish. The old couple that lived here for many years had a washer & dryer sitting on the floor and it aparently leaked for a LONG time.The Oak floor is black stained. I hate to remove and replace. I was wondering if there are any chemicals about these days that might bleach the wood? Years ago ( soon to be 40 ) when I first got married I bought a round oak table at an auction. and it had a big hot pot black ring and bubble in the veneer. After gluing and sanding I used some clorox and got the marks pretty well gone and then stained the whole table so it matched. Worked good. But I don't wish to dark stain this whole floor. And there have been so many new things available today from when I worked in wood. Heck I just got my first Craigs Jig ( love it )
Any help as far as best area to post or replies on a better fix I would like to hear. I've got a few projects done I'll share when I am able to spend a few more minutes to post.
Thanks , Woodie

Advertisement

wayne wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:28 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,192

Welcome----Go to the library and read all of Eric Sloans books--you will enjoy the time and learn a bit about old time building---

Repost this one in 'flooring'----The stains in the flooring will be to deep for sanding and wood bleach--

Plan on lacing in new wood--or removing the bad area and installing a ceramic pad (with a drain?) under those machines----

Glad you came---join right in!---Mike---

Advertisement

Old 12-26-2011, 09:05 AM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,462

Wayne, what about taking that area, remove, place back into somewhere like a closet, and take that wood that you took out of the closet or closets, and use that. Even can use from entry if it does not have some kind of tile there, etc. Do you have a architectural warehouse, that you can get something close to the original flooring?
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:39 AM   #4

Thanks guys. Yes I can replace the wood that's there. I just wanted to see if there were any new products that might save that work. As far as closets go... well there are no closets in these real old houses. Well I guess some might have but most up in this neck of the woods don't have. I don't need ceramic tile as I enclosed the old back porch and made that into a laundry room.
Well I'll take some pictures before and after. But I'm going to try the bleach. Worst that can happen is ...it doesn't work and I have to replace.
Thank you , Woodie
Old 12-26-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
Stairguy

Rewards Points: 500

I have had success with oxalic bleach. It works well with new water stains but I've never tried it with old ones. Wouldn't hurt to try it
Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:16 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 602

If you can not clean it do you know how to replace some pieces?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
wayne wood (12-26-2011)
Old 12-26-2011, 06:49 PM   #7

Hi Joe yes i do know how to replace just wanted to try something less invasive first.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:09 PM   #8
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,192

Sand it and try oxalic acid (available at most paint stores)--You will only be out some time and a few bucks on the wood bleach---Mike----
Old 12-26-2011, 07:25 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,168

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne wood View Post
As far as closets go... well there are no closets in these real old houses.
I was going to suggest the same thing that Greg did, until I remembered a conversation that I had with my dad, quite a number of years ago. I was telling him about some of the older houses that I was looking at, and the fact that they didn't have closets. He looked me square on, and asked "what the h*** do you think that we needed a closet for?". Times change. The majority of us probably have more "stuff" in one closet than an entire family used to have.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:41 PM   #10

Armories. This why there are so many old ( movable closets ) Cedar Chests, blanket chests, Linen cabinets, etc.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:35 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

Armoires and wardrobes. And when they started putting in closets after the turn of the century, they were tiny.

I'm going to bet that if those stains are the result of repeated leaks that they are going to be impossible to remove and that you'll need to tooth in replacement wood.

Definitely look around for reclaimed oak with the tighter, more figured grain of old slow growth, particularly if you're going to stain as it takes stain much differently. It should not cost you that much for enough to replace the visible parts around the machines.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:25 PM   #12

OK My old oak floor had a black, really back area the size of a washing machine. We sanded the finish off and used rags soaked in clorox. It took about 3 hours ( with mulitple wettings ) but the oak flooring is bleached white. So when it drys we'll start some light stain mixes until we get a good match and then we'll begin coating with a Gym seal type product.
Sorry no pics / camera problems

Advertisement