Heavy Gust Rains Water Seeps In - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
PKM

Rewards Points: 10

Heavy Gust Rains Water seeps in

Hi All,
I need help here. Please read and give me your suggestions and advice. I am not handy at all Our house is 4 year old and this has happened third time now. When it rains and it is windy like this past saturday, water seeps through the front door (on same side) to the basement right below the front door. We don't get any water on top of the hardwood behind the door that we can see but in subfloor and then it drips on basement wall and insualtion on the basement ceiling.

Builder had sent his handyman who was not able to detect anything. Not sure what needs to be done.

There in no portico or storm door. Rain pounds on the door and sidelights. The wooden strip on the bottom of the door is always wet after rain and there is aluminium extender also. NOTE: The stucco right below the door and side light about 8 inches from stoop has water mark on it (It has wet look)
Not sure what to do, any suggestins will be welcome

Advertisement

PKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

do you have a picture of it showing up close and one showing a big view? hard to say for sure but it sounds like the door was not installed right or was not flashed right or at all perhaps. The water entering your basement will cause damage to the bands and sill over time as well as anything else it sits on. On a 4 year old house I would demand the builder himself come out and look.

Advertisement

organick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to organick For This Useful Post:
PKM (08-30-2011)
Old 08-30-2011, 02:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,048

The door sill needs to be slanted on the top so water landing on it flows out and off promptly.

The door sill needs to stick out far enough that water flowing off the front edge drops to the ground.

The underside of the door sill should also be slanted down and out so water does not run back along the underside of the door sill and against the house or foundation.

There should be a (n upside down) groove across the length of the door sill on the underside so the very front of the door sill acts like a drip edge.
PKM (08-30-2011)
Old 08-30-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
PKM

Thanks for quick replies.Last night we were recreating the rain and I did feel the botton of aluminium extender to be very wet?? May be like what AllanJ said the water from sill goes back?? Extender is slanting.

Do you guys think Storm door will help??

Also the stucco below the door ( right below the full width of the door all the way to the stoop) has a wet look it is darker shade now then all around the house. Any ideas why...
I will try to get the picture and put it up soon. I am a nerve wreck and these things drive me insane
Old 08-30-2011, 03:28 PM   #5

No a storm door wont help. thats not the issue. is the water entering the basement under the door sill? or somewhere farther down the wall? can you tell from inside? it sounds like it running right under the sill....which should not be able to happen for several different reasons one there should be flashing to stop that , there should also be silicone sealing it, along with the slanted sill as Allan said but prehung doors come with slanted sills so unless the door is very out of square or tilted that should not be an issue really. Could it possibly be leaking through the door seal or around the brick mold and running down inside from there? maybe try testing individual area with water and see what leaks where?
Old 08-30-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,484

You could have multiple issues. For starters Iíll bet there was no door pan flashing installed. Thatís a critical step for an exposed door and often ignored.

As mentioned, post some pictures.
How to attach a photo to a post
Old 08-30-2011, 06:34 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

The door needs to be removed from the opening and installed correctly.
There needs to be proper perimeter membrane flashing and as Kwikfishron stated a sill flashing pan under the door.
You'll never fix it unless you pull it out of the opening.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:22 PM   #8
PKM

If I have to hire someone to redo the door, how much roughly it will cost and will the wood frame need to be stripped to??
PS: Trying to see how to load the pics for you guys to see
Old 08-30-2011, 08:35 PM   #9
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKM View Post
PS: Trying to see how to load the pics for you guys to see
How to attach a photo to a post
Old 08-30-2011, 09:42 PM   #10
PKM

Finally I was able to upload the pics. Please give me your inouts after you see the pics. I have pic underneath the sill, from outside of the house, from inside and upclose.

Thanks for all your suggestions!!!

Last edited by PKM; 09-02-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:02 PM   #11

on the one from underneath you can see its not flashed. I would call the builder on it and make him fix it. If not pull the door and re-do it.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:04 AM   #12
PKM

Can you guys suggest the best and permanent way to flash the bottom of the sill? Builder sends the guy who basically does not want to fix it right way. I want to tell him exactly what needs to be done and then he will do it. For that I need your help
Old 08-31-2011, 05:17 PM   #13
PKM

Guys, Can you please look at the pics I posted and let me know what you think??

Should I caulk the botttom of the sill where it meets the stucco??
Old 08-31-2011, 05:48 PM   #14
Mod

As already mentioned (post #7) the door needs to be removed and reinstalled with the proper flashing details. Maybe the sidelight too but I have no idea because I can’t see behind the stucco or the water in the basement.

Just seeing your stoop poured against the wall like that has me questioning the whole job.

You can try to get the builder back out but after four years, good luck. Or you can go to your local lumber yards contractors desk (not box store) and ask for contractor referrals and have someone local come out and take a look.

Stay away from anyone that says it can be fixed with caulk.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 08-31-2011 at 06:10 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
PKM (08-31-2011)
Old 08-31-2011, 07:14 PM   #15

Looks to me like a piece of roofing drip edge slipped in on top the stucco would do the trick about $10.00 for 8' piece. May well be worth a try as it will divert water away from the wall and make it drip on your patio instead, thus the term "drip" edge. Look at your roof and under your shingles you will see a piece of metal with a kicked out rolled edge on it, that is drip edge and its purpose is to make any water that rolls under the edge of the roof drip off away from the house. It may work, it may not, but if it will its a cheap fix. After putting it in, run a bead of silicone between the top of the drip edge and the underside of the door threshold, just for insurance. good luck!

Advertisement

guest is offline   Reply With Quote