Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-23-2010, 07:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

header problem

novice here. i bought an older home and knocked down a couple of small walls only to find it has 16 foot studs running though both stories. someone told me it's a bloom home, whatever that means. how do i build a new header in this case? these are not loadbearing walls so i can't put a temp wall under support joists and i don't believe i can just cut these studs loose.

Last edited by coachv; 12-23-2010 at 07:14 PM.
coachv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

header problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachv View Post
novice here. i bought an older home and knocked down a couple of small walls only to find it has 16 foot studs running though both stories. someone told me it's a bloom home, whatever that means. how do i build a new header in this case? these are not loadbearing walls so i can't put a temp wall under support joists and i don't believe i can just cut these studs loose.
You might mean balloon framing?
You might want to put the hammer down for awhile until you understand the structure you're dealing with.
Post some pictures of what you have, so we can see the structure.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:37 PM   #3

header problem

ahh. balloon. i'm not doing the header myself. just want to understand the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
You might mean balloon framing?
You might want to put the hammer down for awhile until you understand the structure you're dealing with.
Post some pictures of what you have, so we can see the structure.
Ron
Old 12-24-2010, 07:49 AM   #4
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,080

header problem

Your post was confusing to me. You say "these are not load bearing walls". Exactly what walls are you talking about that are not load bearing? If you mean the balloon framing, the exterior walls are almost certainly load bearing, they hold up the house. If you mean the new walls you are constructing, well if they are not intended to bear load, why are you putting a header in? A door perhaps?

Then you ask about cutting the studs loose. If the studs you are referring to are the balloon framing studs, well they hold up the house, so naturally you cannot cut them. If you are building a non-load bearing wall, why are you asking about building a temporary wall to hold up the joists?

Maybe you can explain the current arrangement in the house, and tell us exactly what it is you want to achieve. Balloon framing is not common, and requires special techniques.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:48 PM   #5

header problem

the walls are about 6 feet long and are parallel, not perpindicular, to the joists. that's what i meant by not load bearing. these walls formed a breakfast nook and i want to open up the kitchen. afterr looking at the studs, i feel like the balloon studs are all load bearing to the extent the ron to the rafters. don't i need a header remove the lower 8 feet of the studs? but how? supporting the joist next to it with a temp wall? maybe temp walls on the joists on either side? need the standard operating procedure here. thanks and merry christmas!
Old 12-30-2010, 04:48 AM   #6
Stay-at-home GC

Rewards Points: 500

header problem

Still confused, but hey, I'm not the sharpest knife.

Are you trying to open the exterior wall as well as remove the two breakfast nook walls? Sounds like that is where you are asking about "removing the lower 8' of the studs"

Pics would help
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:06 AM   #7
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,360

header problem

Post pictures---I ,too am confused---
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:56 AM   #8

header problem

http://picasaweb.google.com/gvanaski...03424691773746

http://picasaweb.google.com/gvanaski...03449266131762
Old 12-30-2010, 06:23 PM   #9
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,360

header problem

Before you assume that the wall is non-load bearing--check the attic---the top of that wall might be holding up the second floor ceiling or the roof,itself.

If the wall is indeed just a partition, It will need to be attached to the floor joists with blocking

or held up with a header--

Look at the top of that wall---let us know what it is holding up--if anything.--Mike--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:54 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

header problem

I'm about to do the same thing that you are doing with taking out a large section of load bearing wall in a balloon frame structure (assuming yours is load bearing which I would suggest that you should assume). This is what I have learned in my research.

You don't support the second floor when cutting out the studs, you have to support the upper section of studs themselves because the second floor joists are supported by a ledger that is face nailed to the studs. In other words if you just build a support for the second floor, it still will not support the studs which are supporting the roof loads. You have to install a temporary support for the upper section of the studs. This support is called a whaler and it consists of a temporary 2 X ? (depends on the span) that is lag bolted to the studs on either side of your opening and it is positioned above the point where your header is going to go.

This link will explain better than I can. See the section for temporarily supporting a wall in a balloon frame structure. The pages in the book show an example of supporting both a platform and balloon structure. Page 39 and 40 of the book shows detailed photos of the support.

http://books.google.com/books?id=f8I...alloon&f=false

Last edited by jerseyguy1996; 12-31-2010 at 09:04 AM.
jerseyguy1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jerseyguy1996 For This Useful Post:
coachv (01-09-2011)