Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2008, 08:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Question

has anyone used wall cabinets as base cabinets?

I'm wanting to use "wall cabinets" (the ones 12" deep that go over your base cabinets), down low on a frame that rests on the ground. I've even built the frame out of 2x4s. But I have questions and one issue:

- question = I presume you anchor the frame to the cabinets 1st. Then plumb & square the cabinet based upon the top of the cabinet. Is that correct?

- issue/questions = The cabinet will wrap an outside corner, and will need to stand off from the other wall several (approx 6) inches.
-- Do you use 2x4s to support the top back of cabinet? \
-- Or is more needed, like another frame? If the latter does it go on the side of the cabinet or the top? or both?

- Finally, issue/question = does it matter that the wall material is stucco? The cabinet is going in an enclosed patio.

1655graff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:00 AM   #2
Whatamess

Rewards Points: 250

If you have a 2x4 frame on the bottom all the weight will be carried by that frame. Just attach to the wall to secure it and forget it.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:13 AM   #3

Yes, you certainly can use upper cabinets as a base cabinet with a 2" x 4" toe kick underneath, in most, if not all, cases, they can support just as much weight as a base cabinet as they are constructed from the same material.

You lost me where the cabinets will need to be 6" off the wall, I understand wrapping around a corner. Can you not get cabinets in a smaller width, for example, two 27" wide cabinets instead of two 30" cabinets?

Do you know if there's anything to anchor to behind the stucco and where? If not anchored to the wall very well, 12" deep cabinets may not be real steardy, especially assuming the toe kick is only 10" or so.
Jeeper1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper1970 View Post
You lost me where the cabinets will need to be 6" off the wall, I understand wrapping around a corner. Can you not get cabinets in a smaller width, for example, two 27" wide cabinets instead of two 30" cabinets?

Do you know if there's anything to anchor to behind the stucco and where? If not anchored to the wall very well, 12" deep cabinets may not be real steardy, especially assuming the toe kick is only 10" or so.
Thank you to both of ya. OK, so I'll attach the toekick frame 1st.

That's correct. We weren't able to get less wide cabinets in the make/style and finish that I was told to get.

Since the corner is an outside one, there is plenty of framing (2x4s). And, I think I recall well enough exactly where each one is (NOTE: I've re-drywalled the room on the other side of the corner about 6 months ago. I also BELIEVE I did not route any power/elec cabling anywhere in there since I routed speaker cables, and it was such a tigh space in the ceiling/attic/soffit and the wall itself.) AND SO what I hear you saying is...
- If we anchor it in the wall framing there isn't any need to build another frame for the entire gap in the back. Correct?
Old 11-18-2008, 12:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1655graff View Post
AND SO what I hear you saying is...
- If we anchor it in the wall framing there isn't any need to build another frame for the entire gap in the back. Correct?
It wouldn't hurt, but you could probably get away without it. I assume you're putting a counter top on it and covering the gap? I would install a cleat for the counter top to sit on along the wall, silicone the counter top down to the cleat, and screw the counter top down from inside the cabinets, that should secure them well enough. I guess, being upper cabinets, depending how they're built, you could get away with siliconing the counter top down to the cabinets instead of screws, just make sure it doesn't get bumped or moved at all for at least 24 hours to let the silicone cure. Once everything's all attached together as one big unit, it's not going to go anywhere.

I just went and re-read your question. If you're referring to where the cabinets are touching the wall, there's no need for any framing behind it, as long as you can anchor it back in a few places.
Jeeper1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper1970 View Post
It wouldn't hurt, but you could probably get away without it. I assume you're putting a counter top on it and covering the gap? I would install a cleat for the counter top to sit on along the wall, silicone the counter top down to the cleat, and screw the counter top down from inside the cabinets, that should secure them well enough. I guess, being upper cabinets, depending how they're built, you could get away with siliconing the counter top down to the cabinets instead of screws, just make sure it doesn't get bumped or moved at all for at least 24 hours to let the silicone cure. Once everything's all attached together as one big unit, it's not going to go anywhere.

I just went and re-read your question. If you're referring to where the cabinets are touching the wall, there's no need for any framing behind it, as long as you can anchor it back in a few places.
Sweet. Thank you.

And good catch: yes, (a) the cabinet will have a countertop, and (b) I was hoping the countertop cleat/brace along the wall could work for both. BTW, I generally nail or screw down such woodwork. I don't typically trust /leave it to caulk.