Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2010, 02:13 AM   #1

Share |

Hardie Plank

Hi:
I am siding a large shed and I am having some problems with the way you stagger the butt joints on lap Hardie Plank siding. My understanding is you stagger them in 32 inch set backs for 16 inch OC framing. This would start with the full bottom board 12 feet (144 inches) and the boards on top of that would be 112, 80 and then 48. The boards joining the 144, 112, 80 and 48 inch boards would be the full 12 feet. You would then start the pattern again with a 12 foot board and work your way back to 48 inches. However, after looking at the Hardie Plank sheets they show you use the "cutoff" peices to start the sequence again; these cutoff peices would be 32, 64, and 96 inches, which of course are OC numbers. Nonetheless, what I do not understand is in the image they show (below is the link to the file on page five) it shows four "cutoff" pieces in light blue with lines pointing to them. This makes no sense to me as the frist peice that goes up is the full 12 feet and you only cut three of them for the pattern, but it shows four, and the seem for what I think should be a 12 foot board does not line up with the bottom 12 board.

http://www.jameshardie.com/pdf/best-.../hz5-plank.pdf

Thanks for your help,
Jeff

jeffwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:36 AM   #2
Mod

Hardie Plank

The way you described starting with a full panel and then steping back 32” for each new coarse is what I do and then cut my new set of starters out of the scrap from the other side of the wall. In order to hit studs the first piece probably won’t be 144”, it will be a long as you can get out of a full piece and hit a stud and then step back 32” from there.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 04-06-2010 at 05:58 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:03 PM   #3

Hardie Plank

Hi:
I just noticed that the link I posted did not work, so the new correct one is below. By the way, the longest wall of the shed is 64 feet and 14 feet high with no windows or openings, so I will be staggering the joints for a long distance.

http://www.jameshardie.com/pdf/best-.../hz5-plank.pdf
Old 04-05-2010, 06:54 AM   #4

Hardie Plank

I'm not sure what you are asking
The diagram shows a 12' board on the bottom & 3 cut pieces above
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:51 PM   #5
Mod

Hardie Plank

Once you have all your starter’s up it’s all full pieces from there till yo hit the end. 64x14 and no openings that’s what we call a “gravy wall” or “money wall” it don’t get any easier than that.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:52 PM   #6

Hardie Plank

Sorry if my question has not clear, what I am asking is in the file from James Hardie it shows that after you cut down your starters you use the cutoff boards for the next row of starters above. However, it shows four cutoff boards but you only cut three down as the bottom board is a full 12 footer. Once you put up the first set of starters with the last board being 48", you would then put up a new 12 footer and start stepping back again, or is at least the way I understand it. As a note, If you look closely at the graphic they show the seem of the next 12 footer does not line up with the bottom 12 foot board, so they are showing four cutoff boards, but like I said, you only cut three.

Just to be clear, I do understand that you run full 12' (unless the wall is really short) boards against the starters until you reach the end of the wall, even if the wall was 1000 feet long.

Thanks.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:59 PM   #7
Mod

Hardie Plank

Did you read my post?
Old 04-06-2010, 06:26 PM   #8

Hardie Plank

There are 12 pages of instructions, what page are you looking at ? I use whatever cut-off I have, that way I have very little waste With windows, doors etc I use all odd pieces
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:33 PM   #9

Hardie Plank

It is on page five and shown in figure 9.8 on that page.

Kwikfishron: I did read your post and I know what you mean. However, I am still wondering how Hardie Plank shows that you use four "cutoff" boards for the next set of starters above the bottom ones when you only cut three of them and you would not have four "cutoff" boards.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:04 PM   #10

Hardie Plank

Started a 12'. next a 9'4", 6'8", 4'. Started a new board-- not a waste, at 10'8", then a waste 8', waste 5'4", waste 2'8". All minus the corner width. They did that to see if you were watching closely or not!

Be safe, Gary
Old 05-17-2010, 01:25 PM   #11

Hardie Plank

Hello:
I just wanted to say that I finally sided the square walls of my shed and it went very well, so thanks for all your help with the staggering pattern. Nonetheless, I have the two gables left to side and what I am having problems with is the staggering on there. If you use the standard 32 inch step back the distance between the ends of the boards below become larger and larger as the boards go up the slope of the gable. How do you figure out the length of each board to be able to end on studs which are 16 inches on center and perhaps keep the 32 inch step back? The pitch is 8 and 12.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 05-17-2010, 06:15 PM   #12
Mod

Hardie Plank

The whole 32” automatic step back thing goes out the window when you hit the gable.

You just "simply" need to decide what stud you want it to break on and measure the piece.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 05-17-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:32 PM   #13

Hardie Plank

Thanks! That's what I thought. The sheathing is 3/4 would you say that it really does not matter to end on a stud with that size sheathing?
Old 05-18-2010, 08:43 AM   #14

Hardie Plank

3/4 is considered thick enough

i really wouldn't worry too much if a couple of seams didn't break over a stud regardless

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote