DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Hanging shelf (mini "loft") from finished garage ceiling

20K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Wildie 
#1 ·
First post, go easy on me (new to the forum). I've tried some searches and haven't come up with anything yet.

I've a standard Toll brothers "finished" three car garage, and I'm looking to add a shelf/loft across the back of two bays about four feet deep. It would be framed and supported by a ledger board on two walls (with an OSB platform), with a needed support on the outlying corner. This would be used for seasonal storage of holiday items and the like - light load, but you never know what might find it way up there.
I'd rather not have a post on the ground for support for that corner. There are several similar houses in the development with such a shelf (although bigger that I am looking to build) added by the builder. However, both are also finished, and unlike mine neither have a dropped section in the center bay boxing in the beams running on either side of the center bay (I believe this boxed in section to be under a guestroom bathroom - related to plumbing?). If I remember both support that corner via a rod, but I don't know if the rod is attached via a carriage bolt or screwed into the beam/joist (I assume the former).

So, my dilemma is how do I tie in the hanging corner support to the side of the boxed in section? Or to the finished ceiling?

Initially I was just going to run a 2x4 lag bolted into the side of the box at a stud location, but I've no idea of the support structure under the sheetrock. Then I was thinking angle iron, but the same unknown exists.
I'm certain this is a vague question, but can anyone provide any insight? I can try to add pictures if it would assist.

Thanks for any input -

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Thank you for the welcome - here are a few shots.

A look at the first bay (10ft wall to beam)-

Here you can see the "dropped" portion which boxes in between two beams.

A better shot:

The drop is 13". The shelf/loft would be 4ft from the ceiling and 4ft deep, running the length of the 1st and 2nd bays about 20ft. This would bring it to right about the top of the existing shelves, and out to a pont in between the second and third bike hooks in the second picture (which of course would be relocated. Again, ledger boards along the back and left wall, outside corner support hanging from the beam area.

A few extra photos:

#4 ·
The two beams that run on both sides of the boxed area would make good support.
If they are steel beams, web clamps are available to connect threaded rods.
These are similar to 'C' clamps, except they have threaded holes on both ends.
A locking bolt goes in one hole, the threaded rod in the other.
The hanging rods would drop down and meet the shelving.

If the beams are wood laminate, an 'L' bracket screwed to the side of the beam could be used.
A threaded rod, hanging from a hole in the 'foot' would be used instead.

#5 ·
I think I'd use threaded rod as well. It can be supported to the beam or to the floor system above (assuming the storage load is light). You could frame the support from 2x dimension lumber, but it would require quite a bit of sheetrock removal to facilitate attachment to the existing framing.
The underside of your beams likely have a piece of 2x lumber attached to the bottom flange as well, which might make attachment of the support structure easier.

#6 ·
Thanks for the responses; I guess I'll need to remove some 'rock to actually checkout what's beneath which I would prefer to avoid. Was hoping to be able to "throw" something up, but without knowing what's under there that's difficult.

Why the preference for rods? Greater strength in tension?

#7 ·
Ease of use, by the most part!
To support the front rail of the shelf, just drill a hole in it, slide the rod through, slip on a nut and washer.
A beam clamp or L bracket at the other end with another nut and washer and the deed is done!
Threaded rod support is the favored method for hanging most everything!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.