Hanging Mirir On Door - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-29-2009, 03:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

hanging Mirir on door

My wife bought a full length framed mirror that she wants me to hang on the closet door. its a hollow core interior type door. the mirror is a bit heavy. there are two hanging "D-ring" type hangers on the back(maybe for connecting with a wire to hang) problem with this is the door wont hold that weight on single point and i dont want the mirror to bounce around when the door opens and closes. i have thought about through bolting something to the door and hanging it that way, use a decorated 1x4 on back of door as a load spreader. i have thought about liquid nails all the way around. i need some help on this as she is on my butt to get it hanging. any body got any ideas. Thanks MIKE

Advertisement

txmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:41 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

hanging Mirir on door

Mirror clips and adhesive would be my suggestion.

http://www.knapeandvogt.com/Mirror_C...roducts.20.268

Advertisement

vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:17 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

hanging Mirir on door

those would work, but the mirror is framed in wood, like a picture haning on the wall. anybody else???
txmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

hanging Mirir on door

Get a new door?

Don't most hollow core doors have some solid pieces in them? Tops, bottoms and edges?

Perhaps you can hang the mirror to those solid pieces somehow? If the mirror frame is wood then some sort of metal or wood strip with properly drilled holdes that allows for screws into the back of the mirror frame and extends to where you have solid wood on the door to screw into?

I'd probably try three wooden strips (top middle and bottom) and stain or paint them.

Hope it works out for you.
drillbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:47 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

hanging Mirir on door

A hollow core door is not a great option here. Pad the back of the mirror with adhesive weather stripping to dampen vibration when closing.
I would scan that door with a stud sensor as a any anchors may just tear thru unless you hit a cross brace and remember the weight of the mirror will change how the door closes... There are corner brcakets specific to mirrors but your frame may be a problem.
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:21 AM   #6
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,044

hanging Mirir on door

drillbit, and Chemist offer good advice. Is there any way to remove the wood framing? IF so, then I like vsheetz advice about the mirror clips, particularly the metal clips. Most, and not all, mirrors I run across to mount seem to be of tempered glass these days and are quite heavy. One trick I use with metal clips I get from a local glass shop is to put a small amount of clear silicone into the clip before the glass. This cushions the glass and also glues the glass into the clip. The adhesive weather stripping sounds good to me also. If you cannot remove the frame, or exchange the mirror for one unframed, then it's a bad situation. As posted, hollow core doors are not noted for being able to hand much of any load from them. I've seen even light loads tear out screws alone, and those with plastic anchors. IMO-hollow core doors were designed for one reason--cheap, movable barriers so we could walk through walls. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:37 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

hanging Mirir on door

Mike, how tall is the mirror? Since the door is hollow(not much structural integrity), and the mirror is heavy, maybe you can do some kind of rig that drapes over the top of the door. Kind of like those over the door hooks. To keep the mirror from sliding back and forth, can secure hook on top of door, so the screw won't be seen.
Green Giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:06 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

hanging Mirir on door

Drill 4 access holes in the top and bottom edges of the door to put the nuts in that will be threaded on the bolts that hold the mirror frame.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:24 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

hanging Mirir on door

the simplest way is to pilot yourself six holes in the wood frame, then attach mirror with course thread screws and DO NOT strip the screws out. when the screw bottoms out, stop. this should do fine. once done, give a semi-hard tug on the frame. it stayed didn't it? understand it can be pulled off the wall as most anything with enough force. thanks, buddy builder
buddy builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:01 AM   #10
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

hanging Mirir on door

as long as you're ok with gluing it, i'd go that route. just remember that gluing will not allow removal at later date. if you do glue it, remove hinge pins and lay the door flat to glue, then let set overnight before re-mounting.
if you plan on keeping the mirror or moving it elsewhere, i'd suggest replacing the door with a solid one the same size. then screw with impunity!

DM

Advertisement