Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2010, 01:02 PM   #1

Share |

Hang a mirror by crown molding / trim?

I have two 3' by 3' mirrors in my main bathroom which were originally held up by some kind of heavy duty mirror hangers behind the glass. I've taken them down to repaint our bathroom, and ended up recycling the old metal hangers. Now I need to put the mirrors back up.

I'm trying to avoid having to go buy more mirror hangers, plus the "floating" look isn't what we are after this time. So here is my idea: I will take some crown molding and attach it to the wall with a 1/4" slot around the inside edges, thus making a lip for the mirror to sit inside. Then I'd slide in the mirror and nail up the last piece on the sides. Thus the mirrors would be supported by the molding nailed into studs.

Will this work? Is there some kind of danger of the woodwork falling away - am I supposed to hang the mirrors first, then put the trim around them?

kennedy.greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
Drywall contractor

Hang a mirror by crown molding / trim?

Find some sort of trim that already has a rabbetted edge on it like a chair rail that sits on top of wainscot paneling (for convenience). Place the bottom piece and fasten securely to the studs. Set the mirror in place (with a good "squirt" or two of mirror adhesive behind it. Install the side trim pieces with some liquid nails (or similar) and angle some brad nails into the drywall to hold until the glue sets. Add the top piece of trim and fasten into the studs.....

drtbk4ever (03-22-2010)