Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2008, 05:46 PM   #1

Share |

handicap ramp

hey guys I sure could use some advice. my neighbors were in a terrible car accident and was hit head on. their daughter was killed and they are both handicapped now. since I am there neighbor and we are really close friends and they know I do some carpentry work they ask if I could build them a ramp in their garage that goes into their home. I have never built one before but I really want to do this for them. They have three exsisting steps with side rails there now, and they want to change it. I was thinking about making a 3' platform where you would step into the house, then build the ramp off of it. It is 261/2 from the entrance down to the floor. I'm thinking you probably would have to go at least 9' out so it wouldn't be so steep. I was just wondering if anyone had some experience to help me out with some suggestions. Maybe a web site or just some good info.
Thanks Guys!!
WITH THE MEASUREMENT OF 26 1/2 BEING FROM THE BOTTOM ENTRANCE DOOR WHAT IS THE MINIMUM DISTANCE I NEED TO GO TO HAVE THE RIGHT ELEVATION? CAN I GET BY WITH 13' OR DO I NEED 16'.
ALSO THE ENTRANCE DOOR INTO THE HOUSE IN THE GARAGE IS 32" DO I NEED TO PUT IN A 36" DOOR OR JUST LEAVE IT LIKE IT IS?

Last edited by worker903; 08-29-2008 at 06:07 PM.
worker903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:17 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

handicap ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by worker903 View Post
hey guys I sure could use some advice. my neighbors were in a terrible car accident and was hit head on. their daughter was killed and they are both handicapped now. since I am there neighbor and we are really close friends and they know I do some carpentry work they ask if I could build them a ramp in their garage that goes into their home. I have never built one before but I really want to do this for them. They have three exsisting steps with side rails there now, and they want to change it. I was thinking about making a 3' platform where you would step into the house, then build the ramp off of it. It is 261/2 from the entrance down to the floor. I'm thinking you probably would have to go at least 9' out so it wouldn't be so steep. I was just wondering if anyone had some experience to help me out with some suggestions. Maybe a web site or just some good info.
Thanks Guys!!
the ramp should be 1" pitch to every 12" run. your platform must be wide enough so to turn the wheelchair around to go into the house. if your putting rails on both sides make it 42" min.36" from rail to rail.good luck with your project. and terribly sorry for your neighbors misfortune.BOB

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:40 PM   #3

handicap ramp

1 in 12 is probably a good number, but should be the maximum. FYI, code is 1 in 8, which is useless to most folks. I was hit head on at 70mph on a highway by a drunk druggie in 1997 and spent a while in a wheelchair during my rehab, and can tell you that it is DIFFICULT to go up a ramp. I'm a big strong guy and I don't honestly know how a weaker person could do it.

A minimum 3x3' ramp is required at the top and at the bottom. I'd also suggest installing a 2x2 on each side of the ramp as a curb to keep their tires from slipping off the edge. A 3' width would be the absolute minimum, as the railings on each side can be a knuckle buster depending on how they're built.

I'd deck it with plywood, and use treated wood where it contacts their garage slab. Build your landing platform and hang 2x6 joists from it, tapered down to a point where they contact the floor. Use a tablesaw to cut a tapered treated board at the bottom to make the transition very easy from garage slab to ramp.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:40 PM   #4
Framing Contractor

handicap ramp

Quote:
Thanks Guys!!

That is a heartbreaking thing to here.. I hope you can help them out. I just found this website. Maybe you can get an idea of what the cost would be for this compared to actually building one, or if you have the room.

http://www.modular-wheelchair-ramps.com/
Old 08-28-2008, 08:16 PM   #5

handicap ramp

Sorry to hear about you neighbor. Check out the messageboard at: wheelchairjunkie.com there's lots of helpful people there.

If the garage is tight a vertical platform or "porch lift" is another option.

If the user(s) are using manual chairs you can figure on 1:12 as "doable" but for many WC users difficult.

I don't know if they still do it but Home Depot used to donate a certain amount of materials for the physically challenged and home access.

Often, local organizations such as the Elk's will be more than happy to help out, especially in a situation such as this.
rustyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:14 AM   #6
Mold!! Let's kill it!

handicap ramp

Below is information from the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act)standards on ramps. While you don't have to adhere to the ADA in a private home, most of their standards are pretty well thought out.

ADA Accessibility Guidelines for Buildings and Facilities, Federal Register, Vol. 56, No. 144., pages 35633-35636.
Ramps

General
Any part of an accessible route with a slope greater than 1:20 is considered a ramp.
Slope and Rise
The smallest possible slope is used for any ramp. The maximum slope of a ramp in new construction shall be 1:12. The maximum rise for any run shall be 30".
Clear Width
The minimum clear width of a ramp shall be 36".

Landings
Ramps must have level landings at the bottom and top of each ramp and each ramp run. Landings have the following features:
  1. at least as wide as the ramp leading to it
  2. a minimum length of 60" clear
  3. a landing size of 60" x 60" if the ramps change direction at landings

Handrails
If a ramp run has a rise greater than 6" or a horizontal projection greater than 72", then it must have handrails on both sides. Handrails have the following features:
  1. provided along both sides of the ramp segment. The inside handrail on switchback or dogleg ramps must always be continuous.
  2. if handrails are not continuous, they must extend at least 12" beyond the top and bottom of the ramp segment and be parallel with the floor or ground surface.
  3. a clear space between the handrail and wall of 1.5".
  4. continuous gripping surfaces.
  5. top of the handrail gripping surfaces mounted between 34" and 38" above ramp surfaces.
  6. ends of handrails either rounded or returned smoothly to floor, wall, or post.
  7. cannot rotate within their fittings.
Cross Slope and Surfaces
The cross slope of ramp surfaces must be no greater than 1:50. Ramp surfaces must be stable, firm, and slip-resistant.
Edge Protection
Ramps and landings with drop-offs must have curbs, walls, railings, or projecting surfaces that prevent people from slipping off the ramp. Curbs are a minimum of 2" high.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:38 PM   #7
Framing Contractor

handicap ramp

Is there something that the Sate can do for this couple, like donate the materials and labor? I mean both husband and wife are in a wheel chair and they lost their daughter. This is horrible. Am I way off in thinking that something can be done to help these people?
Old 08-29-2008, 06:00 PM   #8

handicap ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
Is there something that the Sate can do for this couple, like donate the materials and labor? I mean both husband and wife are in a wheel chair and they lost their daughter. This is horrible. Am I way off in thinking that something can be done to help these people?

THAT IS A GOOD QUESTION. I NEED TO CHECK INTO THAT!!!
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR INPUT!!!
EVERYONE HAS BEEN SO HELPFUL!!!
WORKER903
Old 08-29-2008, 06:09 PM   #9

handicap ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
Below is information from the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act)standards on ramps. While you don't have to adhere to the ADA in a private home, most of their standards are pretty well thought out.

ADA Accessibility Guidelines for Buildings and Facilities, Federal Register, Vol. 56, No. 144., pages 35633-35636.
Ramps

General
Any part of an accessible route with a slope greater than 1:20 is considered a ramp.
Slope and Rise
The smallest possible slope is used for any ramp. The maximum slope of a ramp in new construction shall be 1:12. The maximum rise for any run shall be 30".
Clear Width
The minimum clear width of a ramp shall be 36".

Landings

Ramps must have level landings at the bottom and top of each ramp and each ramp run. Landings have the following features:
  1. at least as wide as the ramp leading to it
  2. a minimum length of 60" clear
  3. a landing size of 60" x 60" if the ramps change direction at landings
Handrails

If a ramp run has a rise greater than 6" or a horizontal projection greater than 72", then it must have handrails on both sides. Handrails have the following features:
  1. provided along both sides of the ramp segment. The inside handrail on switchback or dogleg ramps must always be continuous.
  2. if handrails are not continuous, they must extend at least 12" beyond the top and bottom of the ramp segment and be parallel with the floor or ground surface.
  3. a clear space between the handrail and wall of 1.5".
  4. continuous gripping surfaces.
  5. top of the handrail gripping surfaces mounted between 34" and 38" above ramp surfaces.
  6. ends of handrails either rounded or returned smoothly to floor, wall, or post.
  7. cannot rotate within their fittings.
Cross Slope and Surfaces
The cross slope of ramp surfaces must be no greater than 1:50. Ramp surfaces must be stable, firm, and slip-resistant.
Edge Protection
Ramps and landings with drop-offs must have curbs, walls, railings, or projecting surfaces that prevent people from slipping off the ramp. Curbs are a minimum of 2" high.
THANK FOR ALL YOUR HELP IT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
Old 08-29-2008, 06:12 PM   #10

handicap ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyjames View Post
Sorry to hear about you neighbor. Check out the messageboard at: wheelchairjunkie.com there's lots of helpful people there.

If the garage is tight a vertical platform or "porch lift" is another option.

If the user(s) are using manual chairs you can figure on 1:12 as "doable" but for many WC users difficult.

I don't know if they still do it but Home Depot used to donate a certain amount of materials for the physically challenged and home access.

Often, local organizations such as the Elk's will be more than happy to help out, especially in a situation such as this.

THANK YOU!! I WILL CHECK OUT SOME OF YOUR SUGGESTIONS!!
EVERYONE HAS BEEN WONDERFUL WITH THEIR ADVICE!! WE DEEPLY APPRECIATE YOU TAKING YOUR TIME TO REPLY!!!
Old 08-29-2008, 06:15 PM   #11

handicap ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob View Post
the ramp should be 1" pitch to every 12" run. your platform must be wide enough so to turn the wheelchair around to go into the house. if your putting rails on both sides make it 42" min.36" from rail to rail.good luck with your project. and terribly sorry for your neighbors misfortune.BOB

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!! WE REALLY APPRECIATE THE TIME YOU TOOK TO HELP ME OUT!! YOU ARE A WONDERFUL AND CARING PERSON!!
Old 08-29-2008, 06:17 PM   #12

handicap ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
1 in 12 is probably a good number, but should be the maximum. FYI, code is 1 in 8, which is useless to most folks. I was hit head on at 70mph on a highway by a drunk druggie in 1997 and spent a while in a wheelchair during my rehab, and can tell you that it is DIFFICULT to go up a ramp. I'm a big strong guy and I don't honestly know how a weaker person could do it.

A minimum 3x3' ramp is required at the top and at the bottom. I'd also suggest installing a 2x2 on each side of the ramp as a curb to keep their tires from slipping off the edge. A 3' width would be the absolute minimum, as the railings on each side can be a knuckle buster depending on how they're built.

I'd deck it with plywood, and use treated wood where it contacts their garage slab. Build your landing platform and hang 2x6 joists from it, tapered down to a point where they contact the floor. Use a tablesaw to cut a tapered treated board at the bottom to make the transition very easy from garage slab to ramp.
THANK YOU ALSO FOR YOUR ADVICE AND HELP!! WE REALLY APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP WE HAVE BEEN GETTING FROM THIS WEB SITE!! WE COULD NEVER THANK YOU ENOUGH!!!
Old 08-30-2008, 08:12 AM   #13
Framing Contractor

handicap ramp

Quote:
THAT IS A GOOD QUESTION. I NEED TO CHECK INTO THAT!!!
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR INPUT!!!
EVERYONE HAS BEEN SO HELPFUL!!!
WORKER903
Here are a few links to some funding or grants that I hope can help.

http://www.mygovernmentresources.com...FRUYegodflyGPw

http://www.querycat.com/faq/c15ffce3...51331e06f798da

http://www.handiramp.com/Funding.htm

http://www.ccienterprises.org/?gclid...FQqFGgodTRIIQg

http://www.americanramp.com/funding

http://www.ucpnashville.org/programs.html

http://www.nea.gov/resources/Accessi...DBGStates.html

http://grantmoneyadvisor.com/the-sec...FQSwFQodlRqlRQ

Last edited by Joe Carola; 08-30-2008 at 08:16 AM.
Joe Carola is offline   Reply With Quote