Hand Rail/drywall Repair - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2008, 08:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hand Rail/drywall Repair

I have a two story home with a wrought iron railing from the first floor to the second. It is installed through the drywall. After kids wear and tear the railing has pulled loose and the dry wall has broken away where the railing is attached. I was looking for some advice on the best way to repair the dry wall and re-attach and secure the railing. Your help and ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisement

Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:57 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hand Rail/drywall Repair

Very strange that it is installed through the drywall. Could you possibly post a picture so we can understand exactly what you're dealing with?

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:03 AM   #3
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Hand Rail/drywall Repair

was the rail attached to the drywall or some blocking behind. The reason I'm asking I have seen wrought iron rails secured to walls with toggle bolts. if there is no blocking, cut out a section of the drywall so you could install some type of 2x blocking from stud to stud. then install a new drywall blow out patch, spackle and paint. if there is blocking behind the wall then spackle the wall and drill the rail for the next 1 or 2 size's bigger in screw size. GOOD luck BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:34 PM   #4

Hand Rail/drywall Repair

I can get a picture in a few days. I will re-post when I get the picture. Thanks
Old 08-18-2008, 10:36 PM   #5

Hand Rail/drywall Repair

I need to pull the railing off and get a better view of whats behind it. I guess I should start there. Thanks. I will re-post when I have more info.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:04 AM   #6
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Hand Rail/drywall Repair

Any good plumbing supply stores Or you could go to a Home depot. remove the handle and unscrew the stem and bring it with you. this way they can match it up. If your not sure about putting the thing back together, then take some pictures so you have an idea how it goes back together. GOOD LUCK.

Advertisement

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote