Half-Wall/Sub-Wall Around Spiral Staircase - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2010, 10:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Half-Wall/Sub-Wall around Spiral Staircase

Hey Everbody!

I have put a spiral staircase in my house, and now am onto the final touches. I need to close in the staircase, so i'm hoping to build a half wall around it, with a nice hard maple cap, and a gate for entry. I have never built a half-wall before, and am weary about how sturdy it will be on the far end away from the wall, with only the floor joists below holding it. Mostly because it will have gone through 2 angled portions by the time it gets there.
Pic is attached. Half wall will go from right side of pic then down and left. Following the outline of the 'hole'. Any advice, tips would be helpful!
Some info = LVL beams underneath and in line with proposed half wall, except for on the 'angled' portion...will need to put in support underneath for that maybe.... floor is 1 7/8ths thick (maple, then 7/8ths pine, then floorboards lol..old house)

Thanks in advance for any advice and knowledge. Can't wait for some replies!

**EDIT*** - Since my camera battery was dead, I took a video to get that image. The Video is here in case it helps
Attached Images

Advertisement

Last edited by Herlihey; 01-14-2010 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Adding Link to Video.
Herlihey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:26 PM   #2
Love for Construction

Rewards Points: 250

Are you able to access the floor joists from underneath?

If you can, a good option for you is to use a piece of tubular steel for the endpoint of the wall. You can drill some holes and use either lags or bolts into the floor joist, it wouldn't hurt while you are at it to scab on another section of joist material to double it up where the lags or bolts go into. To finish it off up, depending on the material, just box around the metal.

EDIT: Just reread your post sounds like the LVL is right beneath where the wall will sit, you could attach to that, and would make for a really solid connection for you wall to end at.

If you don't like the idea of using tubular steel, then I would at the very least be sure to add sheer panels (7/16" OSB) to the whole wall to tie it all together.

Advertisement

Last edited by <*(((><; 01-14-2010 at 01:29 PM.
<*(((>< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #3

Thanks for the Reply, I like the idea! I am picturing using the tubular steel on the endpoint instead of a normal 2x4, and attaching it to the beam underneath. So the piece of steel goes down to the beam, and the rest of the wall just comes up from the floor. Then its just a matter of attaching the wall to it, and closing it in.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:20 PM   #4
Love for Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlihey View Post
Thanks for the Reply, I like the idea! I am picturing using the tubular steel on the endpoint instead of a normal 2x4, and attaching it to the beam underneath. So the piece of steel goes down to the beam, and the rest of the wall just comes up from the floor. Then its just a matter of attaching the wall to it, and closing it in.
That's how I would do it, then you only have to worry about making sure the tubular steel has a good attachment to the LVL, and the halfwall has good attachment to the steel. The rest of the wall as you had said you can finish with wood how you like.

Post up progress pics, would love to see how it turns out. The staircase and floor looks beautiful, wouldn't mind seeing a few more pics of your work if you get the chance. Good luck!
Old 01-20-2010, 10:59 AM   #5

Well here is the progress so far. This wall is very, very, VERY solid! Thanks again to "<*(((><" for the ideas. I think this wall moves about a 16th of an inch with full force pushing on it...So thats just the flex of the steel. not even drywalled yet.
I used 3" carriage bolts to attach the Tubular Steel to the 2x4s and 2 1/2" lag bolts into the joist, and the 2x4 shoe is screwed into the floor..
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2010, 07:57 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Heck of a job for a DIY'er to tackle. Nice work!
CustomBuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:58 PM   #7

Just need to put up a gate to close it off.
Attached Thumbnails
Half-Wall/Sub-Wall around Spiral Staircase-dsc01300.jpg   Half-Wall/Sub-Wall around Spiral Staircase-dsc01301.jpg  
Old 02-03-2010, 11:25 AM   #8
Love for Construction

Haven't replied to this thread in a while but it looks like you got it taken care of. I was thinking a little different than you implemented but it looks like what you did worked great! Did you end up covering up the tubular steel on the other side with sheetrock and trim, or what?

The staircase looks great, good job!

Advertisement

Tags
half wall , spiral staircase , sub wall