DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

half moon wood step plans

27K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  foz1234 
#1 ·
No way can i find five sided (half moon, half circle) plans for an outdoor wood steps. Instructions for simple stairs but I need details to give my buddy who is offering to build them if I give him the plans/schematics/dimensions/ the how to paperwork...Can anyone help me? thanks

#3 · (Edited)
I've done what you are trying to do. I didn't have plans, but I can tell you what I did to make the risers.

The first step was to make a jig by taking one sheet of 5/8" plywood and using a jig saw, cut two half moons 3/4" radius SMALLER than the largest step. My steps were 6" tall, so I laid one half moon on the floor, laid scrap 2x4s three high and laid the second half moon on top ..... screwing everything together with deck screws. From a side view, it looked like .....

============ 5/8" half moon plywood
----------------three stacked 2x4s (making a 4 1/2" spacer)
----------------
============ 5/8" half moon plywood

The second step was to take a sheet of 1/4" plywood and rip it lengthwise through a table saw, the width of your riser .... for me it was 5 1/4". Then using a radial-arm saw cut 1/8" grooves, 1/8" deep, every 1/2" apart, crosswise/perpendicular on every strip of 1/4" plywood.

The third step was to wrap one 1/4" plywood strip (groove cut side in) around the jig.
Spread Elmer's interior/exterior wood glue (or another similar glue) on the outside of the first strip.
Then wrap a second strip (groove cut side in) on top of the first strip, keeping the strips aligned.
Spread wood glue on the outside of the second strip.
Then wrap a third strip (groove cut side in) on top of the second strip, keeping the strips aligned.
Clamp the glued up strips to the jig. I used a couple of large strap clamps.
Let sit 24 hours and then remove clamps.

The fourth step was to unscrew the jig. Cut the two half moon pieces of plywood to a smaller radius equal to the next smaller step size minus a 3/4" radius. Then reassemble the jig and repeat steps two and three.

The rest should be semi easy to assemble and finish.

Edit: It may help to put a sheet of parchment paper in between each layer of that makes up the risers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.