Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2008, 10:56 PM   #1
Do, undo, then do right

Rewards Points: 10
Lightbulb

Guestimated Measurements

Here's what I do when I don't have a tape, to figure (rough) measures:

My right hand span, thumb to middle finger, is 9" (multiples of 9, good for door widths, or anything else)
My reach up is about 7' 6" (figuring 8' high)
My arms spanning outward is my height, 6' (wall width, lumber lengths)
My outstretched arm to nose is 3' (doorways)
My right index finger is 1 1/4 inches tip to first joint. (screw/nail lengths &c.)
My foot is just about 12" (duh) (floor lengths, tiles, &c.)
My eye level is 68" (good for hanging pictures)
And I have 10 fingers (metric)

&c.
But your mileage may vary.

Any others?
(keep it clean)

BilHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:21 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Guestimated Measurements

My situation: I take precausions to not have to guess. The way I see it, is, that in my line of work, I am in need of a tape measure and the ability to make accurate measurents at all times of a work day (like a CPA needs a calculator).

So, I carry a tape measure with me (clipped to my belt - next to my cell phone PDA).... everywhere I go, on work days.
(I also keep spare tapes in the front and back of my personal work truck, and also in the backs of all our company work trucks and trailers = so they are always around).

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 02-05-2008 at 07:33 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:06 PM   #3
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Guestimated Measurements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
My situation: I take precausions to not have to guess. The way I see it, is, that in my line of work, I am in need of a tape measure and the ability to make accurate measurents at all times of a work day (like a CPA needs a calculator).

So, I carry a tape measure with me (clipped to my belt - next to my cell phone PDA).... everywhere I go, on work days.
(I also keep spare tapes in the front and back of my personal work truck, and also in the backs of all our company work trucks and trailers = so they are always around).

Gee, you are getting pretty technical on this guy Atlantic, with using a tape measure for everything. . I guess you did not see his motto beneath his screen name, "do, undo, then do it right". Pretty much explains why he doesn't need a tape, only a few body parts.

We all have done some "rough" guestimates occassionally, like stepping off a room size, but I don't think I want to start using body part measuments to order a job full of door units or finger increments to select a screw from my truck where an 1 1/4" will work fine, but a 1 1/2" will put a screw point throught the side of a cabinet.

I readily admit that I am anal, particilarly with stuff I need to have, and that may break, get lost etc; tape on me , tape in glove box, two tapes in rear of truck, never less than three pencils in my shirt pocket and pack in glove box, enough jig saw blades and driver bits that I probably could go 6 mos. and not run out, etc.

Last edited by troubleseeker; 02-05-2008 at 12:27 PM.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:50 PM   #4
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Guestimated Measurements

Even with six or seven tape measures I still use informal systems. I write the measurements of everyday tools on them with permanent marker. Goofy, yes. Useful, yes. But, I also write myself little notes like: DON'T THROW THIS AWAY; WHERE ARE YOUR GOGGLES? CHECK FOR CURRENT BEFORE CUTTING. That sort of thing. I think it's cause my mom used to write notes to me on my lunch bag.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:27 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Guestimated Measurements

I had a builder friend who's moto was: Pound to fit; Paint to match. Using this moto, guestimates may be just fine.
Handyman50 is offline   Reply With Quote