Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2011, 11:54 AM   #1

Share |
Question

groove/rail on edge of subfloor OSB

how important is to have the rail on the edge of one 3/4" OSB subfloor panel fit into the groove of the other? i find it difficult to fit it in cause the rail gets fuzzy and won't fit. so i simply trimmed the rail off so i can fit the panels next to one another. i understand the joint would be stronger if the rail fit in the groove but by how much? since the groove/rail side is perpendicular to the floor joists, i doubt the simple joint will be much more in jeopardy of sagging.

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic View Post
i understand the joint would be stronger if the rail fit in the groove but by how much?
This configuration is known as tongue and groove, and in precise terms of how much stronger the joint would be with the tongue than without, you would have to ask the manufacturer and/or an engineer, but in laymen's terms, "a lot". However, since your text seems to indicate that you have already cut them off, the question seems a bit irrelevant. In simple terms, ask first, then cut, but only if appropriate. This time it was not appropriate.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #3

Quote:
how important is to have the rail on the edge of one 3/4" OSB subfloor panel fit into the groove of the other? i find it difficult to fit it in cause the rail gets fuzzy and won't fit. so i simply trimmed the rail off so i can fit the panels next to one another. i understand the joint would be stronger if the rail fit in the groove but by how much? since the groove/rail side is perpendicular to the floor joists, i doubt the simple joint will be much more in jeopardy of sagging.
These plywood edges can be easily damaged. I think that's what you're experiencing. Removing them would not be my choice. Many times they can be brought back, so they can be used properly.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:45 PM   #4

I don't recommend doing it unless you plan to use 2x4 supports under the joints. You also run the risk of losing any warranty on the material if there's a problem later. Square edges touching each other can also cause squeaky floors.
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:08 PM   #5

the tongue and groove setup helps set out expansion gaps in the material. it is pretty damn important. if your sheets are butt tight and installed in cold weather, when it heats up, you're going to have a popped-up mess on your hands. on the other hand, if you're installing butt tight in hot weather, when the temp drops, you're going to see some nasty gaps in your subfloor. depending on what you put over it, this leads to popped tiles, cracked hardwood and so on.

when the tongue on T&G materials gets messed up, you're better off scraping off the fluff and using what tongue you can salvage. one trick is to lay the sheet down where it goes and then use a sledge and a beater block to tap it in. just lay a 2x4 down on the joists right next to the groove edge of the sheet and tap the 2x with your sledge. that will tap the tongue into the groove of the previous sheet. as long as your 2x is long enough, you won't damage the groove end of the sheet you're whacking on. there will still be enough force to whap that tongue in, and as long as you've scraped away the major fluff, the rest will just make for a tighter fit.

if you're going to damage the sheets too much in transport, then you're better off using smooth edged sheets and 'h' clips.

POOP ON CARPET! USE TILE!
adam_withrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:51 PM   #6

Thumbs up

i have actually taken out the panel from which i stripped the tongue off and replaced them with unaltered ones, fitting the tongue in the groove. done it properly, in other words.

thanks
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:57 PM   #7
Framing Contractor

Here is a little trick.Use at your own risk. When you get to the last row and need like a 12" rip, but have no tongues left, You can use a grooved edge. Put some construction adhesive in each grooved edge and put groove to groove. The glue will harden and form the tongue to hold them.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sixeightten For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (08-29-2011)
Old 08-30-2011, 03:27 PM   #8

Sheathing grade subfloors are intended to have an
additional layer of structural material such as an
underlayment panel, wood strip flooring applied at
right angles to the joists, or concrete topping. Single
floor grade panels used as combination subfloor and
underlayment do not require an additional layer
(except as noted in the Figure). The edges of
sheathing and single floor panels must have
approved tongue and groove joints or be supported
with blocking unless minimum 1/4" thick
underlayment is installed with joints offset from
subfloor joints, or 1-1/2" of approved cellular or
lightweight concrete is installed, or if the finish floor
is 3/4" wood strip.
http://osbguide.tecotested.com/pdfs/en/tm420.pdf

Gary
Old 08-30-2011, 03:51 PM   #9
Mod

Quote:
i find it difficult to fit it in cause the rail gets fuzzy and won't fit.
You simply stand on the sheet and with a 2x4 against the groove and tap the sheets in with a sledge hammer.

Tags
subfloor