Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2007, 07:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

got a little problem

I did not to put up a typical ceiling so I got this ideal about using luean.I know thats for floors but it has the look I wanted and stains up well.Anyway I got a few sheets to try out I routered the edge to make an overlapping joint and countersank the holes so the screw heads wont show and put a little sawdust and polyurethane mixture in the joint so it wont show and put them up.They look great just what I was going for except the are to light weight and sag a little between the joist.My question is this would you look for a heavier material that would give the same look ,put extra support between the joist or just try putting more screws in and see if that takes the sag out enough.I kind think the second but I am not sure so I ask the experts here for advice and all is appreciated

clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 07:29 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 506

got a little problem

If I'm thinking about the same stuff as you're talking about, it's 1/4" thick??

You need to either use heavier material, or add blocking between the joists. Adding more screws into the existing joists isn't going to remove the sag between the joists.

I would go with something heavier...say at least 1/2", but the blocking between the joists would work. You're going to need it pretty often to keep everything up tight...say every 16"...maybe less. Remember this also...you'll have to stagger the blocking to attach it, which is going to make it a beeotch to screw into (can't just pop a line and start in on it), but it is possible.

jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 07:55 AM   #3
Old School

Rewards Points: 75

got a little problem

I would also vote for the blocking between. Using a pin nailer would take a lot of the fill work out of the picture.
cabinetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 07:56 AM   #4

got a little problem

thats what I was thinking and since It is such a light weight material I will most likely have to box in around the reseed lights also right
Old 06-23-2007, 08:07 AM   #5

got a little problem

around the edges staples in my finish nailer are working out real well and can be covered up nicely but in the center were it sags the material just pulls through the staples
Old 06-23-2007, 08:43 AM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

got a little problem

You could also install "Substrate" material - like 1/2" rough plywood first to the floor/ceiling joists.
(This would actually be better than adding nailers or bridging, and then trying to note where you added these).
Then attach the finished luan material easily onto that. You would be able to use adhesives on the luan's back side and nail it anywyhere you needed to, since the whole substrate becomes your nailing surface.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 08:51 AM   #7

got a little problem

now thats one I did not think of thanks that may work better then the others since I could also glue the routered edges for better support
Old 06-23-2007, 02:44 PM   #8
Long-Time DIYer

got a little problem

Or, another idea to consider that I've seen done that looks really good...they make 4'X8 sheets of faux "bead board" that can be installed on walls or ceilings and is thick enough that it doesn't sag.
You can get it either pre-primed for painting or plain for staining.
It's sort of like T-111. It actually is plywood with a milled surface.
Good Luck!
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 04:43 PM   #9
zel

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via AIM to zel

got a little problem

Please post some pics if possible. I'd like to see how this looks. Thanks.
zel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:45 AM   #10

got a little problem

I will post some when I get it up I only put two sheets up to see how it was going to work out and to see what would look better against the wall color.I like the unstained wife likes it stained I think the stain will fade or discolor on the sheets next to the windows so we are still "discussing " that part but I am going with Atlantics advice and got 32 sheets of plywood yesterday to get started on this .I think if I do it his way it will give me more overall strengthand a more even suface plus if come across any unevenness I can shim it at that point instead of trying to make some kind of adjustment once the finish sheets go up
Old 07-01-2007, 01:16 PM   #11
Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

got a little problem

We installed a ceiling for a customer like you are describing. We used 1/2 OSB and attached it to the ceiling first. Once that was all secured we test fitted each piece and then attached Liquid Nails (spread with tile trowel) to the back of the Luan before sticking it to the ceiling.

Before you start, make yourself 3 or 4 braces to hold the luan in place. We used 2x4's cut about 1/2" shorter than the height of room. This allowed us to wedge the 2x4's against the floor and use scraps of the 1/2" OSB and shims against the ceiling to hold everything in place while glue dried.

After everything dried, we went back with a finish nailer and tacked it in just a few spots. We also used flat bead trim to cover all the seams. It looked really good when we finished and it was just what the customer wanted. Good luck with your project!

Dan101 is offline   Reply With Quote