Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2012, 11:58 PM   #1

Share |

Glue and dowels sufficient to build speaker pedestal?

I am thinking about trying to build a speaker pedestal out of poplar wood. To avoid screws I am thinking about drilling holes for dowels (with the help of a wood template) and wood glue. I heard wood glue is really strong. Would this make a pedestal strong enough to securely hold a 40 pound speaker? The top and bottom pieces would be 2 X 18 and there would be two vertical pieces that would be 2 X 12. The local stores do not have 3 X 3 pieces for posts.
darsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:29 AM   #2
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by darsunt View Post
Would this make a pedestal strong enough to securely hold a 40 pound speaker?
Easily, yes.

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:07 AM   #3

I would do one of two thing personally. Either increase the size of your vertical supports from 2" to 3", or stay with the original size and add two more so that you have one at each corner.

I understand the appearance is what matters, but I think the initial approach is a bit weak. Granted I'm sure the stand will stay in one place and rarely be moved, but I think stability may be an issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Where Every Nail Has a Purpose!"
CrossWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #4

Thanks.
I'm having trouble finding strong post shaped poplar pieces from local hardware. Maybe the local lumberyard has some.
darsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #5

How about looking for a business that works with moldings or wood turnings. We have a few around here so I'm sure you've got the same situation there. We have a local guy here named Stephen Hanson who I consulted once about putting together a stair railing in a historical district here in Portland, and I got to visit his shop. Very impressive to say the least.

But what I did notice [in his case] was that there ample sources of balusters & table legs every where from various jobs in the past. Kind of the leftovers which I'm sure served as good samples to view.

But the point is, find someone who does wood turning and I'm confident they'll have a few table legs kicking around to sell for cheap.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Where Every Nail Has a Purpose!"
CrossWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:51 PM   #6

I am 6'2 - 220 lbs and I can sit on a 18" sq. top table with four 2"x2" popular legs and will never worry about it breaking down. Vertical strength in wood is awesome, its the horizonal plane that makes it weaker. Make a 3" band around the legs under the top, to help on the side to side movement. ..
Lowes has a good assortment of popular pieces in their finished woob rack with the oaks, camber pine etc. good luck
Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #7
Retired Cabinetmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeps View Post
I am 6'2 - 220 lbs and I can sit on a 18" sq. top table with four 2"x2" popular legs and will never worry about it breaking down. Vertical strength in wood is awesome, its the horizonal plane that makes it weaker. Make a 3" band around the legs under the top, to help on the side to side movement. ..
Lowes has a good assortment of popular pieces in their finished woob rack with the oaks, camber pine etc. good luck

My thoughts exactly
woody4249 is offline   Reply With Quote