Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2010, 05:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

German/European doors with flanges

I traveled in Germany and Austria this past summer. All doors to hotel rooms (assume many others as well) have a flange - roughly 1/4"-5/8" thk and extending beyond the rest of the slab about that much. I am putting in a door to my music studio and have bought a slab and need to build the jamb. I'm considering routing the edge of the door to create the aforementioned flange (to possibly improve sound isolation and just because they are unique, intriguing and German(?)). Anyway, I didn't pay close enough attention to the detail while there. Has anyone ever seen this (in US or abroad) and, more importantly, does anyone have information about the design. If so, I'd love to get a cross section view of the jamb. Are there still door stops or does the flange serve that purpose? Are there special hinge arangements required to make sure the door, and flange, seat properly on the jamb?
Thanks

kagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:17 PM   #2

You might want to contact, "shumakerscott" on the project forum. He's in Germany working on a house there.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:16 PM   #3

Thanks, I'm new to this site and may take some effort to figure out how to contact an individual I don't see a 'project' forum. Under the DIY forum tab, I see 'carpentry, construction, elec, ...". Am I looking in the wrong area?
Old 12-18-2010, 08:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagne View Post
Thanks, I'm new to this site and may take some effort to figure out how to contact an individual I don't see a 'project' forum. Under the DIY forum tab, I see 'carpentry, construction, elec, ...". Am I looking in the wrong area?
Click on the DIY Chatroom header and look under "Project Showcase" . It's the third one down.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:28 AM   #5

Wow, that is an awesome project. I've made the contact and appreciate your suggestion and help. Have a great holiday!
Kent Agne
Belleville, IL