Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-26-2010, 10:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Gas line in slab

We are remodeling our kitchen. We will put in an island with a gas cooktop. Currently, no gas lines in kitchen but do have lines in the attic. We live in Baton Rouge LA. Does anyone know if it is code to run the gas line under the slab (about 3 feet). And does it have to be vented up through the attic out the roof?

pawathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Gas line in slab

At least here in OK there isn't any problem with that, but I've only ran them through the slab not under by notching out the concrete then filling it in . And it doesn't have to vent out the roof if you have a recirculating power pack, and even if you don't have a recirculating one you can vent it just into the attic if you have the grease filters in. I wouldn't necessarily recommend that, but it will work.

sausagefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:41 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Gas line in slab

May want to check with your local B.D. on running the gas line.... Your H.O. Insurance may not cover a future claim if the installer needs to be certified.

M1505.1 General. Domestic open-top broiler units shall have a metal exhaust hood, having a minimum thickness of 0.0157-inch (0.3950 mm) (No. 28 gage) with 1/4 inch (6.4 mm) clearance between the hood and the underside of combustible material or cabinets. A clearance of at least 24 inches (610 mm) shall be maintained between the cooking surface and the combustible material or cabinet. The hood shall be at least as wide as the broiler unit, extend over the entire unit, discharge to the outdoors and be equipped with a backdraft damper or other means to control infiltration/exfiltration when not in operation. Broiler units incorporating an integral exhaust system, and listed and labeled for use without an exhaust hood, need not have an exhaust hood. http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico..._15_sec005.htm

Gary
Old 12-28-2010, 12:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Gas line in slab

http://www.murrieta.org/uploads/form...0in%20Slab.pdf

http://www.scottsdaleaz.gov/Assets/P.../03INT88-6.pdf

Try these links, for CA & AZ but principle is the same, just has to be sealed and vented somewhere other than under the slab.

Last edited by jeffrow1; 12-28-2010 at 12:16 PM.
jeffrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:16 PM   #5
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Gas line in slab

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawathome View Post
We are remodeling our kitchen. We will put in an island with a gas cooktop. Currently, no gas lines in kitchen but do have lines in the attic. We live in Baton Rouge LA. Does anyone know if it is code to run the gas line under the slab (about 3 feet). And does it have to be vented up through the attic out the roof?
There is no code problem that I know of with this, but you definately want to have the gas work done by a licensed plumber, so he can pressure test the line. Be sure he permits the work, or in the event of an incident due to a gas leak, your insurance company will walk away.

I would recommend that an oversize hole be cut through the slab with a core drill. After the horizontal tunnel is backfilled, this will allow you to fill from the top, leaving no air pocket under the slab.

This hidden slab penetration is a natural entry for termites, so before filling with concrete, go down to the local DIY pest control store and buy the most potent termite treatment you can, and liberally treat the soil in this area.

You definately do not want to exhaust all the food smells and moisture from the hood into the attic; go through the roof. Recirculating, unvented hoods are just a waste of money.

Last edited by troubleseeker; 12-29-2010 at 11:20 PM.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote