Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2008, 09:33 PM   #1

Share |

Gas fireplace

On the gable end of our house we have a room with a gas fireplace. it currently has a prefab mantle that sticks out about 24 inches. It is not a big room and the fire place does not help we want to bump it out and create a "doughouse". I understand that we need a RO of 42 wide by 36 high. So i will cut the studs, put in the header no problem. But i am unsure on how to attach the frame of the doughouse to the frame of the wall. Do i attach joist hangers to the joists or carrige bolts to the jack studs and kingstuds. I have decent framing knowledge but iam stumped on how to attach the two strutcures together. The book that came with the fireplace just gives rough opening sizes but no detail on how to attach it. Any help will be appreciated.

constantworker774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:25 AM   #2
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Gas fireplace

I don't know off the top of my head. Why am I posting then? Hmm - I have a book that if I recall correctly shows it. I have it at home and if I remember will look it up for you.

I wanted to post about a different consideration. Setbacks. The doghouse will in effect move your house closer to the property line. Make sure you do not encroach on the setback requirements if you have a tight lot. I had this issue that limited somewhat where I could place my fireplace. I ended up doing a corner unit and did not need the dog house.

Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 04:59 PM   #3

Gas fireplace

I have 25ft of clearance so it is not a problem. but i cant find how to attach the 2 structures together.
PS what book are you using
constantworker774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:30 AM   #4
Handyguy

Gas fireplace

I do not have the book handy but I seem to recall that this detail might be described in the Journal of Light construction. Don't hold me to that.
http://www.jlconline.com/cgi-bin/jlc...N/userpages/37
Old 04-14-2008, 08:35 AM   #5
Handyguy

Gas fireplace

Thinking about this more...
I would think that a cantilevered floor detail will be what you are looking for. If your existing floor joists are perpendicular to the wall you are bumping out then you could sister some new floor joists to the existing to extend out the house. Build up from the new floor as you normally would. If the existing floor joists are parallel to the wall you want to bump out then I'm not sure.