Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2006, 11:09 AM   #1

Share |

Garage w/ Gable Ends

I'm putting up a 22x20 detached garage with a gable roof, 1 foot overhang all around. Got a few assorted questions on this:

1. Using 2x8 rafters, do I use a 2x10 ridge board?

2. At the overhang end of the rafter do I need a 2x4 backer before the fascia board or can I use only the 1x fascia board?

3a.If using a 10" ridge board and 8" barge rafter, is it o.k. to trim the ridge board in the overhand to match the rake board?
3b. What about using a 2x4 or 2x6 barge rafter (to a few $$) instead of 2x8?

4.The roof space will be used for dry storage and someday may insulate the roof and am installing two roof vents. Should the blocking where the rafters and joists meet be flush with bottom of the roof sheathing or is an air gap recommended?

Thanks for your help.
dmend

dmend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:48 AM   #2
renovations

Garage w/ Gable Ends

1-Yes

2-Use a 2x8 so you can support the roof sheathing (are you putting on shingles or steel?) This gives better support for the fascia too. If you like you can cut the rafters down to 2x6 on the overhang and put on 2x6 rough fascia which allows you to use smaller dimension finish fascias.

3a- Yes
3b- Yes, but you'll want to take the suggestion in 2 above or your soffits will be difficult where the rafters are larger than the the barge.

4- If you're putting in soffits you don't need blocking. If you're ever going to insulate the attic you don't want blocking.

Hope this helps.

Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:27 PM   #3

Garage w/ Gable Ends

Very helpful, thank-you.

It looks like I'll have to make a decision on insulation at the front end and not as an after thought.

My other option is to insulate between the joists and not the roof. With no soffit, blocking would be necessary (don't want the racoons setting up house). Should the blocking allow for some airflow or sealed tight?

Thanks,
dmend
dmend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:34 PM   #4
renovations

Garage w/ Gable Ends

Allow for air or you'll regret it later. Good luck.
Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote