Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2005, 01:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Smile

Garage remodel

I am converting a garage to living room and have to build a wall where the garage door was. Since the driveway and garage are on the same level (garage floor tapers up almost the full lenght of the garage) I was thinking of pouring a short stem wall (3 1/2") to build the wall on to help prevent wind driven water from getting underneath the bottom plate.

I am planning of drilling holes in the slab for rebar pins and wire-tie a piece of rebar horizontally between the pins. Does this sound reasonable? Any other suggestions?

Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 11:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Garage remodel

That's too small a wall for any regular mix of concrete. Some type of latex modified concrete might work but I would probably think about a couple of pressure treated bottom plates or some redwood and some flashing and some silicone and sillseal. I also would think about some 3-1/2 x71/2 concrete bricks set in thinset with some anchor bolts sticking out. Also i'd want to know if the original foundation ran through under the door. Sometimes they don't. HS

K2eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 11:36 PM   #3
Contractor

Rewards Points: 150

Garage remodel

Flashing, silicon and sillseal should take care of this. I've seen this type of thing done poorly and the result was rotted plates/sheathing. Use treated like hammer suggests and flash it as though you're NOT going to silicon it. In other words, put the silicon in as a 'just in case' barrier but flash it well.

Was the garage poured with a little lip? So that there is a half inch or so drop off onto the driveway?

Ken Walker
KenTheHandyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 12:36 AM   #4

Garage remodel

Nope, no lip from driveway to garage floor. How do I flash this?
Old 11-03-2005, 11:05 PM   #5
Contractor

Garage remodel

I am assuming you will be removing siding on the exterior, is that correct? Also, what kind of siding is on?

Hopefully you have vinyl siding or metal would be OK too. What will you be putting up to 'blend in'?

Ken Walker
Old 11-06-2005, 12:29 AM   #6

Smile

Garage remodel

Current siding is T1-11 around the garage door. It has rotted (along with the bottom plate and 6" up the studs) from water splashing on it from the roof (no gutters). I am planning on replacing all the siding on this wall with Hardi cement siding.
The water from the roof landing on the driveway and rain water on the driveway are my main concerns. I will correct some of the water problem when we install gutters but the rainfall on the relatively flat driveway is my main concern. I would like to avoid water seeping under the new wall which will be close to the roof drip line with the installation of a new bay window (full height).
Old 11-06-2005, 12:59 AM   #7
renovations

Rewards Points: 250

Garage remodel

I like your first idea, the concrete. With rebar stubs out and a piece horizontally you should be fine, and you're not relying on caulking or flashing a very tricky spot.There's no reason not to go higher with the stub wall. build your forms so you wind up with a wall 5-1/2" wide, by 6" or 8" high. This concrete is holding virtually nothing up, it's simply there to get siding and wood up off the ground. "Paint" the cured concrete floor inside the forms with acrylic concrete additive to improve adhesion of new to old, and put gutters on your house. :D:D
Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:52 PM   #8
Contractor

Garage remodel

Yeah, I think I would just build a higher wall. Use the bonding agent for the new concrete. There is also a spray on product 'Rubber Wall' that can be sprayed on after the forms have been pulled and before the new T1-11 goes on.

These kinds of problems are not easy to deal with and if you get a lot of rain, even a small puddle outside can ruin your interior if you miss one little spot.

Make sure to take into account the thickness of your interior and exterior finishes when forming the wall. It's not a bad idea to make the wall 7/8" thinner (on the inside) and glue some 3/4" stock to the wall, vertically, every 16". Just simple 1x4. That will give you something to nail your baseboard into as well as help out with something to screw your drywall into. An ounce of prevention...

Ken Walker
Old 11-11-2005, 12:16 AM   #9

Garage remodel

Thanks for the great tips!! Hadn't thought of the nailers on the inside. That will sure save a lot of headaches later on finish work. Hope to get to this project Thanksgiving weekend. (currently sheetrocking my new shop)

Thanks again!!