DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

garage post

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  vsheetz 
#1 ·
I have a 2 car garage, 24'x28'. It has 2 separate garage doors and a support post in the middle, of the garage. I would like to remove the support post so a have a clear span and can open the car doors fully. The support post holds a 24' 2x12(doubled) which is supported at the ends on the perimeter walls.
Can I add to this double 2x12 to give it the strength to hold the roof joists, (2x8),16"on center with a flat roof in New Mexico with some minimal snow fall, or should I replace it with a microlam, steel I beam or what would you recommend?

#2 ·
You should have it structurally engineered, for the load and span, locally. They would know your local snow load and situation. I would also get it permitted by your Building Department, for safety and if ever you sell the house it would be required. Be safe, G

#6 · (Edited)
I had this done to a house some years ago. My two wooden doors were needing replacement so I opted to make the alteration rather than just replace the two doors back like they were, which I never liked. The contractor I hired engaged a structural engineer who specified a steel beam. We also make a couple other minor cosmetic changes - such as changing out some too small posts on the front porch with something more proportional to the house. It all came out great - much improved the look of the house and usability, IMHO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.