Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2009, 06:27 PM   #1
cmj

Share |

Garage Joists

Hi Guys,

I want to add ceiling 2x8 joists to my garage. Right now there are three 2x4 collar ties in place of any joists. The problem I'm having is that there is an X brace made from 1x6 running from corner to corner just under the existing joist/collar ties. I can't get joists up there unless I remove the X brace and I've been told that if I remove it my garage will go out of square. What do you guys think, can I cut out those 1x6 braces? The garage is attached to the house.

cmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:26 PM   #2

Garage Joists

Do you have a pic of these braces?
How big is the garage?
How far will the 2x8's span?
Are you putting up drywall, or need storage?

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:43 PM   #3
We pick these?

Garage Joists

Pictures=1000 words

Strictly from your description I can only guess what you have to work with. How long is the garage, detached or not, ceiling joists at wall height? Plywood/OSB roof decking? Exactly where are the X-braces connected?
NailedIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:29 PM   #4

Garage Joists

"The garage is attached to the house." ---- Would it be enough to remove the ones holding the garage on a diagonal to the house? Those would not be required, as it is attached. The house will hold it in shear, towards and away from the house.

The side to side is different, you may need those. If the gable (?) studs go all the way to the roof, without any top plates, you are probably OK, as the roof shear ply is holding everything in check. But, if you have top plates all around, you need the bracing.

If your intention is for storage, pull one side brace off, install that end's joists, install some temporary braces under the new joists until the new ply is installed. If walls are unfinished, brace a long 1x4 in the corner, 1' down from the top plates as a temporary brace.

Be safe, G

Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:38 AM   #5
cmj

Garage Joists

Ok I will get a few pics posted in the next few days.

The garage is 20'deep x 17' wide, the three collar ties/joist run the 20' span and are 2x4! There are 2 1x6 planks that attach the opposite corners and meet as an X in the center of the garage. The center of the X is strapped to the bottom of a collar tie and the door opener is attached to the center of the X. There is bailing wire running from the peak of the roof the collar tie/X/door opener for support. The garage is attached to the house along one of the 20' walls, the garage is on a slab but the house is on a crawl space. The rafters are 2x4 and the roof decking is ply. My intension is to add 2x8 joists and ply decking for light weight storage.
cmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:34 PM   #6
We pick these?

Garage Joists

Attached... you said that already. Oops.

That's not a building method I'm familiar with. I'd recommend checking the corners for plumb and string the walls/ridge. 2x8 isn't sized for your span. 2x12 is more like it. A knee wall type purlin and some strong-backs wouldn't be a bad idea. Baling wire... well, that's creative, but I don't think I'll borrow that technical detail when I replace my opener

NailedIt is offline   Reply With Quote