Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

garage door locks

Is there any way to find out the name of a garage door by the lock. The keys were lost and I am unable to find the name of the garage door manufacturer to order keys.

Thank you

rfhjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:59 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

garage door locks

The box stores carry replacement locks, not all that expensive. Most hardware stores, also.

Gary

Old 04-29-2011, 10:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

garage door locks

Can you send any pictures?
Are there any labels anywhere on the door?
Also, is the door wooded or metal?

If there are no labels, measure the height of each panel and let me know the measurements. Each manufacturer has different measurements and you can sometimes tell by the height of the panels.

Tom
Tomperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,002

garage door locks

Garage door manufacturers make garage doors, not locks. As suggested above, take your lock off and take it to a big box store or better yet, a good local hardware store and they should be able to match up a replacement. Most garage door locks are not high tech at all.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

garage door locks

Certain manufacturers have different locks that might not work with the big box store locks.
Once you find the manufacture, you can find a two or three digit number on the outside of the lock. With these numbers, you can get a key from the manufacturer
Tomperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:49 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

garage door locks

If you cannot find any name or manufacturers labels on the garage door, you can take a photo of the garage door lock / handle inside and out and then e-mail the photo to me and I will try to identify the garage door for you!
locksmiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:16 AM   #7
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 500

garage door locks

Do yourself a favor and just take your house key to a locksmith and tell him/her that you need a rim cyclinder that will work with that key.

If your house key uses a common blank they should be able to give you a lock for your garage that will work with your existing house key.

If you don't want both your front door and garage door to use the same key, just go to any hardware store ( big box or mom-and-pop) and ask for a rim cyclinder. Should cost you between $5-$10 and will include two new keys. very easy to replace
Old 07-08-2011, 07:22 AM   #8
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 500

garage door locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomperro View Post
Certain manufacturers have different locks that might not work with the big box store locks.
Once you find the manufacture, you can find a two or three digit number on the outside of the lock. With these numbers, you can get a key from the manufacturer
I would do this as a last resort only because most places charge big money for precut replacement keys, and they often give you a hard time and make you prove your the owner and not just some guy who wrote down the code off the front of a locked door that he wants to get into ( as they should). If they don't give you a hard time I would be even more weary since it means they will send keys to anyone that bothers to call with your key code!

If you can get a universal rim cylinder to work, it will probably cost you less than the shipping charge you would pay for 2 precut keys sent directly from the lock manufacturer