Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2009, 02:04 PM   #1

Share |

garage ceiling

Currently in my garage, the ceiling joist system is very open. I want to convert some of it to storage but I am concerned how much weight it can hold. The center beam is a 2x10 or a 2x12 laying on its side, running from the garage door to the back of the garage, a span of probably 20 ft. to that beam are runners/joist that span the width of the garage, about 18ft, that are space about 48" apart perpendicular from the center beam, with nothing parallel to the center beam for support. There are also two beams that go from the center beam and connect to the ceiling. I hope that laid out what my ceiling looks like...so onto the question of how much support do i need to add to the ceiling structure to be able to lay some plywood down to be able to stack things up there for storage...thanks in advance
mferguson0414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:46 PM   #2

garage ceiling

Is there any way you could post a picture or two? That would help clarify your explanation so we can help you out!
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:24 PM   #3

garage ceiling

sure I will on wednesday, I need to take some pictures of my main panel in the basement too b/c I also have some questions about that also
mferguson0414 is offline   Reply With Quote