Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2013, 03:54 AM   #1

Share |

garage cabinet

Hi, I would like to build a large garage cabinet with shelves (2x4 and plywood mounted to the wall), about 8 feet tall, width about 4 feet or so. Not sure what exactly will go in there yet as far as weight, but I would like to keep the thing off the floor a few inches to avoid wicking moisture from the concrete and warping/damaging the base of the unit. I am thinking some cabinet feet/legs would be good (I think it may be better than PT 2x4).

http://www.amazon.com/2000-Capacity-...5604977&sr=1-2

Something like these may be good? Also, if anyone has any good build plans for such a cabinet, I would be delighted, otherwise will just improvise. Thanks much.

Dan

aerodan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
Bill Kearney

garage cabinet

I'd be more inclined toward using a leveler that sat under material instead of being screwed to the side of it. That way you're not having all the weight rest on screws connected from the side, but on the threads of the foot itself. There are various gauges of tee nuts that could be used for the purpose.

But given it's in a garage, what about using casters under it instead of feet? Would it be helpful to have it be at least somewhat more movable than just something on legs?

wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #3

garage cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
I'd be more inclined toward using a leveler that sat under material instead of being screwed to the side of it. That way you're not having all the weight rest on screws connected from the side, but on the threads of the foot itself. There are various gauges of tee nuts that could be used for the purpose.

But given it's in a garage, what about using casters under it instead of feet? Would it be helpful to have it be at least somewhat more movable than just something on legs?
Thank you for turning me on to tee nuts, that seems like a good way to mate wood to threaded metal. Heavy duty casters could be nice, but I am thinking of mounting to the studs, but I agree casters would be handy if I ever wanted to move it. Thank you for the feedback.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:52 AM   #4

garage cabinet

So I think I have settled on a build idea for the cabinet. It will be 84" from floor to top, 36" wide. I will assemble the carcase from 3/4" plywood, sides, top and bottom. Base (toe kick) I will use 2x4 PT lumber. Will use a stretcher rails at top and bottom (plywood), and will secure to wall (in addition to stretchers) with two French cleats, spaced 1/3 and 2/3 approx. from the bottom. Will also use keyhole hangers screwed in to top stretcher rail, screwed to the wall. Will make pegboard jigged holes in the sides for shelves, so all shelves would be adjustable, and not a framing component. Not sure how to attach the cleats/rails to the wall, will have to look into that (some kind of machined bolts maybe).

I would appreciate any thoughts/input to this build. Maybe the top and bottom rails should be cleated and I wouldn't have to cleat anywhere else? Or maybe one additional cleat in the middle? Also, the cabinet will have no back, since it will be up against drywall in my garage. I will also build a wood face frame, some 1x3 probably, and have two doors mounted on this. Lastly, I am also building some wall mounted overhead cabinets, and one of these cabinets would be sharing a stud (at the top only) with this cabinet, since wall mounted cab will be to the left of the large cab. Thank you for any thoughts.

Dan
Old 08-05-2013, 01:54 AM   #5

garage cabinet

And also to add, would be using pocket screws to join the various components, thanks.

Dan
The Following User Says Thank You to aerodan1 For This Useful Post:
Two Knots (08-11-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 06:21 AM   #6
Bill Kearney

garage cabinet

Some thin masonite or something on the back would be good. If/when you move and the structure needs to be moved it, the drywall back there would be one less thing to fix. That and drywall doesn't make for a very durable surface for the back of a cabinet.

wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote