Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2007, 09:07 AM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Gaps where wall-towall carpet met doorjambs

I have a 40 year old townhouse. We removed wall-to-wall carpetting to uncover the hardwood, and that went well, except...

Upstairs at every doorway, the door jambs had been cut about a half an inch from the floor to allow the carpetting underneath.

We had workmen refinish the floors and they put quarter-round around the walls, but just left these half inch gaps at each doorjamb...which we have 10...Is there an easy way to fill in those gaps?

thanks!
betinoccoquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:34 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by betinoccoquan View Post
I have a 40 year old townhouse. We removed wall-to-wall carpetting to uncover the hardwood, and that went well, except...

Upstairs at every doorway, the door jambs had been cut about a half an inch from the floor to allow the carpetting underneath.

We had workmen refinish the floors and they put quarter-round around the walls, but just left these half inch gaps at each doorjamb...which we have 10...Is there an easy way to fill in those gaps?

thanks!
Question is: Are the jambs stained wood or painted wood?

1.) If it is painted, you can 'try' and precisely cut 1/2" filler pieces to carefully insert into the bottom area....Using just a little bit of adhesive.
Problem is that if you push it in too much....you're essentially S.O.L...
To avoid that you could measure the gap behind the area, and slide in some material to make sure that the filler piece does not go in 'too far'...
So, if the Trim is painted and you do this, you could then putty the 'seam' left there on the jamb, then sand and repaint...(Very tedious work)

2.) Another option - (sorry to say this to you): remove the door panel, casing, & jambs.... and add the filler piece to the bottom of the jamb, as above. Brad nail straight up into the jamb - to attach the filler portion (use adhesives also). Then re-install the doors, jams, casing....etc

3.) Stained wood: If you want this to really look right, sadly you would really have to dismantle each door (Door panel, hinges, casing, jambs, door stop trims, etc... Rebuild the door frame - install new, longer, door jambs for each side, (including, re-mortising the hinges).....this would really be the best way to make it look right, if it is stained wood. - Alot of work for 10 doors.

4.) Rip out all the doors and upgrade to a new style....?

That is the best I can offer at the moment...anyone else?

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 02-23-2007 at 09:38 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:08 PM   #3
remodeling pro

All of the suggestions from AtlanticWB are a possibility, but for 10 doors, I think I would replace the units. Unless they are special custom doors, I suspect that after 40 years, they are most likely ready for an upgrade. Another possibility is to remove all the trim, lower the jambs/door assembly to the floor, and recase with wider trim to cover the exposed paint or wall paper line at the top of the door.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 04:52 PM   #4

Stretch the carpet to cover the gap.?
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:27 PM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Try not to look 'down' ?

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote