Gap In Door Jamb And Casing - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2011, 09:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Gap in door jamb and casing

Hey everybody,

I've recently renovated a room in my house that had 4x8 sheet paneling. I removed all that and put up 1/2" drywall. Now, when I go to put my trim back up, there will be a gap between the casings and the jamb (because of the additional width of the drywall_ 1/2" drywall vs. 1/8" paneling). What is the best way to close this gap? It's all getting painted, no stained wood.

Any tips, pictures, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Advertisement

MarcW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
Architect / Carpenter

Rewards Points: 25

The best way to close the gap is with jamb extensions. It's the type of job that is a little tedious and requires some carefully attention to get it right.

Rip some thins strips of wood to 3/8" thick x the thickness of the door jamb, probably 5/8". Be sure to keep the end grain against the existing jamb. If the existing door jamb doesn't have a rounded edge, you can attach the jamb extension to the jamb using strong wood glue and clamping it in place for a couple hours. Then sand it down to a nice flush finish and re-attach the door casing.

If the existing door jamb has somewhat rounded edges you can set the jamb extension back an 1/8" to match up with the edge of the door casing, effectively thickening the edge of the casing to close the gap.

The alternative would be to get some new, thicker casing and rabbet the back to have a thicker edge against the door jamb.

Advertisement

carpitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,838

Another way would be to place the door trim were it should be, using a pencil mark the back edge of the trim on the wall. Using your hammer flatten the drywall that will be behind the trim but not past the pencil line. This will let the trim touch the jamb on the front edge. Now when you go to cut the molding you will have to adjust the miter cut as there will be a gap in the miter when you put the molding in place. Take two scrap pieces and adjust the cut until it fits like you want. This is not the best way but it is another way to fix the problem. Give it a try with scrap to see if you can handle the angle the trim will look on the wall before cutting up a whole piece of molding.

If it were my home I would do just like carpitect advised.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #4

jamb extensions is what I was thinking. I'm trying to save all the casings. Thanks
Old 07-08-2011, 01:50 PM   #5

Cut the frame free. Push it to one side so it is flush with drywall then add your extension wood to only one side.
DBSConstruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #6

The easiest way is to just put in a new frame. O, and I bet there's actually less than a 1/2" on each side because paneling is about 3/16" you might just be able to caulk the gap with white interior acrylic after the trim is up. (See pic)
Attached Images

DBSConstruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:07 PM   #7

Thanks for all the replies

DBS - I only have one side of the frames exposed anyways, so I'll only have to add to one side of the jamb. Gap is too big for caulk.. 5/16" - 3/8"
Old 07-09-2011, 11:37 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

If you add the extensions on the hinge side, you'll restrict the door from opening all the way. Not much, but enough to crack the frame out at 180 degrees.

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
BigJim (07-10-2011)