Gap Above Crown - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2014, 08:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Gap above crown

A few (3-4) years ago I remolded a kitchen for a repeating customer of mine. I built new, 42" cabinets and installed them against the (8ft) ceilings with 16ga Senco. Looks great. A year later, they called and said there was a gap above the crown, big enough to stick a pencil eraser into! Embarrassed, I went over to inspect, and there was a gap. The inside and outside corners, all the way around the kitchen are still tight, so I know it didn't roll down. the crown is nailed to the cabinets (solid poplar) so its easy to tell that it hasn't moved. The cabinets are screwed into studs with deck screws very tight, and have not moved either. the drywall ceiling is the only thing that could've moved, and there are no signs of foundation settling. I fixed the gap by knocking the crown up with a block, caulking, and touching up the paint. Then, another customer called with the same symptoms around the same month. We got a lot of rain that year. I don't know if the humidity caused this or not, but I need to know, because it looks like its my fault, but it cant be because the crown, nor the cabinets have moved. This week, I fount the same problem at the same two customers houses, and its 2+ years since I fixed them last. It happened overnight! Anyone know what the real problem is, or anything I could do to prevent this? I"m not nailing to ceiling, because the crown isn't moving. its fastened well or the joints wouldn't be so tight. We are in the south, with a lot of humidity, but I've never had this happen before.

Advertisement

ibuildstuff110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:18 AM   #2
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

Gap above crown

sounds like truss lift. starts lifting the further into room it gets, or could even be lifting some off of the wall plates. seasonal movement as well. sometimes a gap shows and then goes away when the weather changes...

Advertisement

hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:23 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 686

Gap above crown

Been in the attic yet to see if the trusses are touching the wall in the middle of the house?
You would think you would see some of the drywall tape cracking to have moved that much.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:40 PM   #4
Professional

Rewards Points: 75

Gap above crown

I have this problem all the time. I often argue with designers about caulking the crown to the ceiling because the caulking always cracks. Often with white kitchens and a poor drywall job where you see big butt joints. I try to scribe them out but you can only do so much. It's probably truss lift if it's big enough for a pencil eraser. It usually happens in the winter in Canada when things dry out, cold in the attic, snow loads, etc.
TotalHomeworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:26 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Gap above crown

not to change the subject but I would avoid hanging cabinets with deck screws.

They are not designed for that purpose.

Just a nitpick.
fred54 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fred54 For This Useful Post:
Live_Oak (02-05-2014)

Tags
ceiling riseing , gap