Gable Roof Returns - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2005, 12:16 PM   #1
Extreme DIY'r Adk's, NY

Rewards Points: 250

Gable Roof returns

I'm framing a detached garage to match an existing house. The house has a different roof pitch do to function over form but I am using the same shingles, siding, windows, etc. The house has returns on the gable ends. These are what I would call half hip returns in that the fascia is continuous and not the shingles. I have never framed a return like this... and since it's not load bearing I'm sure I can figure it out...

what I'm wondering is if there are any hard and fast rules to these? This is one of the few things that I was unable to find any information about online anywhere.

My thoughts are not to try to copy the ones from the house but to make it as long as it needs to be to look good for the scale of the gable face, match the pitch in both directions to the roof. And I'll just use 1/2" cdx here instead of 5/8" OSB. thoughts?

thanks,
Chad

Advertisement

crecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 04:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Gable Roof returns

I've never did those returns but i've done alot of hip roofs. 45 degrees on hips makes life alot easier and I think what you will want is like 2 little common rafters comming together with a 45 deg hip in between. Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on it anyway. I'm sure it will look great. HS

Advertisement

K2eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 11:25 PM   #3
Contractor

Rewards Points: 150

Gable Roof returns

I think you're talking about a Greek cornice maybe? Where just the lower part of the roof sticks out past the gable end and then returns to the siding? If that's right, let me know and I can post a sketch for you.

Ken Walker
KenTheHandyMan is offline   Reply With Quote