Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2008, 04:19 PM   #1

Share |

Furring on Masonry

I'm installing rigid foam insulation against a masonry wall, to be drywalled later by the experts. Which is better for attaching furring: gluing, fastening, or both?

If I go with concrete screws or nails, what's the best interval between them on the strip? (I can't find it in the local code).

If I go sticky, what's best way to keep the batten fast to the wall while setting?

Thanks. JLB

Last edited by Borges; 05-11-2008 at 04:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Borges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:15 PM   #2
Building and plumbing

Furring on Masonry

I use "Tapcons". On an 8' stud I probably use 5 of them. Top, bottom, center, then center the last 2

USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #3
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Furring on Masonry

What I have used is what is called a Z-bar .The ridged foam is 2" x 8' in size. What you would do is install the first Z-bar with what ever fastener you desire, tap-con"s work fine. I use an air nail er for concrete. once the first bar is installed take a pair of metal snips and cut a pair of slice's about 3/4' to an 1" apart and bend them over to keep the foam in place . You would just need to do this about three times (bottom ,middle & top )as you continue .The next bar would be placed tight against the Right side of the foam holding that side of the foam in place on the opposite side of the first board. The Z-Bars are straight so you can plumb and shim them as you go. Just a suggestion. Good luck. Bob.
The Z-bars can be bought at any good drywall supplier's
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:54 PM   #4

Furring on Masonry

Thanks Guys. I've looked into the Z-bar method and it seems pretty straightforward. But I do LIKE working with wood. Still mulling that one.

Here's another one: the wall is 12ft high. Battens are 2"X2" on 16" centers. Rigid foam sheets are 4' X 8'.
I was hoping simply to place the panels between the furring without attachment. If so, how would I stop the four-foot sections from sliding down the wall? Construction glue, or what?

Sorry if this sounds simple-minded.

I do tend to be simple minded.
Borges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:41 PM   #5
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Furring on Masonry

What size foam are you going with that you are worrying about the foam sliding down the wall ? 3/4 or smaller ? when you say 2x2 I'm assuming 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" . I would use at least 1" thick and cut it length wise plus glue it to the wall with construction adhesive. then run a bead along side of the furring and foam on the face side. Good luck BOB.

Last edited by buletbob; 05-14-2008 at 04:52 PM.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote