Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 8
Share |

Frustrated not finding moulding!

Is the wood trim on the exterior of a home "moulding or molding", or does it matter? I'm still frustrated at not being able to find an exact piece or having a mill shop around to cut it. "IT" is "shingle mold", as I know it. "IT" goes directly under the shingles on the eave of a house, is 3 1/4" tall, 1" thick at the top, 3/8" thick at the bottom and has a decorative profile to it. There must be 5 million running feet of this type molding around her on homes. BUT-since our only locally owned builders supply/mill shop closed last year, (where I bought this before) there is no where to buy this material. We do have a Lowe's, HD, ProBuild, and a small chain outfit. I've tried them all. The best offer I had was to order 100ft., I only really need 10ft. for this repair job. Research with the builder of these town homes resulted in that he ordered it from 200+ miles away when he started this 80 unit project back in '86. Gee, thanks guy! There is also some dental molding on the exterior which I took a piece around with me and no one has ever seen this. I'll have to have it custom cut, but no mill shop around her to do it. I took it to a cabinet shop and he stated that he doesn't have a cutter to do this, he called it "scooped" dental mold. It looks like you ran a set of dado blades into it at 2 1/2" spacings to "scoop" out material, then backed out. His, and mine, dado blades were not even close on the radius. Hmm, maybe I'll order 100 ft. of each style, get the word out to these town house owners that I have IT, and get all the business. This is the 4th. unit in 18 months anyway. What does one do in this situation? Desperate David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote