Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #1

Share |

Front ledger/ribbon problem on colonial home

I don't know if this is the right place but, Just noticed that we have an issue with the front ledger/ribbon on our home. It's the board that sit's on top the block on the fon foundation of the home. I will try to attach some pictures. the issue is that the board is rotted enough that you can see outside. Can anyone help me out with how I may be able to fix this. It's rotted almost half way down the front of the house. The house has a paver walkway and stairs and ledge. They didn't put a vapor barrier or anyhting between the ledge and stairways and now it is rotting as the moisture and water have been sitting there for a while. House was built in 1992.
Attached Thumbnails
Front ledger/ribbon problem on colonial home-pic2.jpg   Front ledger/ribbon problem on colonial home-pic3.jpg   Front ledger/ribbon problem on colonial home-picture1.jpg   Front ledger/ribbon problem on colonial home-pic4.jpg  

bowanna03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
Roofmaster

This is called a band joist. You are lucky that this has occurred at a perpendicular condition, as long as the sole plate and joist ends are OK. Please post some exterior photos where this occurs, so we can guide you as to the best way to fix it. Post close ups as well as photos as you move back away from the area. Have you noticed any cracks in your drywall near the area?

Thanks.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #3

I will get some exterior pics as soon as I get home this evening.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #4

No drywall cracks at all. Our front door though seems to be off a little. Some of the floor joist ends are starting to rot a little due to the moisture that was on the band
Old 03-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
Haverhill Trade 1965

That blue stuff you can see is called sill seal and it should have been between the foundation and the bottom of the sill, not on top of the sill. It is waterproof and has little ridges on one side which may have kept water between the rim joist, (band, box), and sill. You will probably end up removing siding for a couple feet up, then the sheathing for 16 inches or so. It may be rotted at the bottom also. Depending on what you find you may be able to replace it in short sections. if the weight of the house has crushed the rim or joists, it may require jacking it up a little to get the new piece in. If the joists are rotted back beyond the sill you may have to cut them back and put a couple layers of rim joist and reattach joists with joist hangers and maybe extend the inside of the sill a couple inches.
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:48 PM   #6

Here are some more pictures from the front and inside. The problem in the basement is aligned with the steps and ledge in the front of the house. Let me know what you guys think. Where should I start and what would be the best way to do it? I am very mechanically inclined and do alot of fo it yourslef stuff, do you think I am capable of doing this myself?
Old 03-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #7

Pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Front ledger/ribbon problem on colonial home-img_0335.jpg   Front ledger/ribbon problem on colonial home-img_0336.jpg   Front ledger/ribbon problem on colonial home-img_0337.jpg   Front ledger/ribbon problem on colonial home-img_0338.jpg   Front ledger/ribbon problem on colonial home-img_0339.jpg  

Old 03-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #8

more pic's- inside
Attached Thumbnails
Front ledger/ribbon problem on colonial home-img_0340.jpg   Front ledger/ribbon problem on colonial home-img_0341.jpg   Front ledger/ribbon problem on colonial home-img_0342.jpg   Front ledger/ribbon problem on colonial home-img_0343.jpg   Front ledger/ribbon problem on colonial home-img_0344.jpg  

Front ledger/ribbon problem on colonial home-img_0345.jpg  
Old 03-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #9

couple more pictures. Any other requested shots that would help?
Attached Thumbnails
Front ledger/ribbon problem on colonial home-img_0346.jpg   Front ledger/ribbon problem on colonial home-img_0347.jpg   Front ledger/ribbon problem on colonial home-img_0348.jpg   Front ledger/ribbon problem on colonial home-img_0349.jpg  
Old 03-11-2013, 05:18 PM   #10

Need pictures of the outside, not the inside.
The repair needs to be done from the outside.
One of the most common problums with both old and newer homes.
Just seems sometimes builders just have no common since or just do not care.
No step, stoop or porch should ever be installed closer then 4" min to any door opening unless it's under cover.
The wall needed to be 100% water proofed before any siding went on.
It also should not be incontact with the siding and needed a drain plane.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:20 AM   #11

I am just trying to get a headstart on it from a planning view. Due to the weather up here in Central New York I wont be able to get to the outside pictures until spring. I am thinking in about a month I will start to break dowwn the steps and look into it more.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:27 AM   #12

The bad news is you live in upstate where we have lot's of snow.

You will have to remove the front stoop, then remove the siding then remove the rot. Then you have to rebuild.

In the rebuilding process you will have to do some things different, like flash properly.

What part of upstate are you?
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #13
Haverhill Trade 1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Need pictures of the outside, not the inside.
The repair needs to be done from the outside.
One of the most common problums with both old and newer homes.
Just seems sometimes builders just have no common since or just do not care.
No step, stoop or porch should ever be installed closer then 4" min to any door opening unless it's under cover.
The wall needed to be 100% water proofed before any siding went on.
It also should not be incontact with the siding and needed a drain plane.
Common problems Joe, I am surprised you didn't mention there is nothing in the joints between the stone. There might as well have been a funnel sending water under the door. It looks like the siding goes right down to the ground too. I am surprised there is not more damage, unless there is, and it is hidden behind the siding, and the canals between the rocks.
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #14

There was no outside pictures when I posted that why I missed a few.
I knew as soon as I saw the rot there had to be a step or something involved.
When I was an exterminator that was one of the first places I'd be looking for termites.
Makes it so much easyer for them to get in when someone builds a ladder for them with siding like that.

In addition there's mulch piled up againt the side of the house holding in moisture.
And that trim under the door sticks out past the threshold making a great place for water to take it's time to get under the door threshold. No amount of caulking is going to stop that.
I like to use 3/4 vinly lumber there with storm and ice shield behind it on the wall. That way it sits just behind the threshold, never needs painting.
What you want to bet there's also no sill pan or flashing under the door.

What a shame, once agin someone made it look pretty, but forgot water control 101.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Duckweather (03-15-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #15

framer, I grew up in the Utica area and I now live in cicero... Cicero is known for being wet all the time and being built in a "swampy" area as they locals say. Should I start by ripping all the steps out and then pull the siding up and replace all the wood? What can I do to keep the mulch away from the house too?