Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2009, 12:51 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Front Door - Door stops?

Can you help us? I know this is NOT a major component to putting in a door, but we'd like to figure this out before we proceed.

We have 2 questions:
1) What are all the kinds of door stops that are available? We've found spring and solid (screw into the baseboard), goose neck and half dome (screw into the floor), hinge pin (attaches to the hinge), wall bumpers (screw into the wall at handle height), and for storm doors, a piston stop and closer.
Are there other types? Are there any more that work or are incorporated into the hinge, maybe? the hinges are 4 inch.
2) Which one works best or at least is least noticeable in the entrance of a home such as ours?

We have an front door entry way that has 2 sets of 27 inch wide side windows flanking the heavy, solid wood front door. Partially behind the door (on the left as you enter) is an antique (and heirloom) piece of furniture. To the right is the entrance to the living room (no wall so I can't reverse the handedness of the door and use that wall for a stop).

Known Problems:
a) Without a stop of some kind, the front door can hit the antique.
b) Wall mounted stops can't be used thanks to the antique.
c) Stops that screw into the floor would be screwing into the hardwood floors. UGH!
d) Hinge pin stops have been used, but they tend to dig into the trim around the door. UGH!
e) Would a piston look odd (out of place) behind a solid wood front door?

Thanks!

1655graff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:59 PM   #2

Front Door - Door stops?

My suggestion would be to use either hinge-pin mounted stops (if the angle works out with the antique) or floor-mounted stops in front of the antique.

The floor mounted stops are actually nice looking and most only have one screw. You wouldn't do any damage to the hardwood floor that couldn't be easily repaired with some putty or a small plug and a dab of polyurethane.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
gravity always wins

Front Door - Door stops?

A Glynn-Johnson #450 overhead stop is what you need. Here is a link to their catalog.

http://www.glynn-johnson.com/pdf/2002_gj_overhead.pdf

or a Rockwood #14423

http://www.rockwoodmfg.com/product.p...1&category=110

Both are the same. Just different manufacturers. You'd need to order it through a hardware company. Everything would be up off the floor and away from the hinges. Plus they are pretty un-obtrusive.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:54 PM   #4

Front Door - Door stops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
A Glynn-Johnson #450 overhead stop is what you need. Here is a link to their catalog.

http://www.glynn-johnson.com/pdf/2002_gj_overhead.pdf

or a Rockwood #14423

http://www.rockwoodmfg.com/product.p...1&category=110

Both are the same. Just different manufacturers. You'd need to order it through a hardware company. Everything would be up off the floor and away from the hinges. Plus they are pretty un-obtrusive.
Maintenance 6: Thanks, but I'm a little confused by what I read when I followed the Rockwood link. IS there a model for mounting on the interior side of an exterior door?

1) The spec sheet states that the 14423 is for interior doors. But this is a front door/ exterior door.
2) Along that lines, the template shows it being mounted on what would be the exterior-facing side of the door. But we need it to be mounted on the interior side of the front door don't we?
1655graff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:24 PM   #5
Drywall contractor

Front Door - Door stops?

I've installed similar devices (commercial type "closers") many times and though I didn't go through the list on either site mentioned above, I'm fairly confident you should be able to get one to "swing" in or out. It's kind of like getting a "right or left hand" swing door. Can't say for sure with these particular products though. Call their customer service line....
Old 08-11-2009, 06:30 AM   #6
gravity always wins

Front Door - Door stops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1655graff View Post
Maintenance 6: Thanks, but I'm a little confused by what I read when I followed the Rockwood link. IS there a model for mounting on the interior side of an exterior door?

1) The spec sheet states that the 14423 is for interior doors. But this is a front door/ exterior door.
2) Along that lines, the template shows it being mounted on what would be the exterior-facing side of the door. But we need it to be mounted on the interior side of the front door don't we?
Either one could mount at the top of your door on the exterior side. They make a bracket for interior mounting, but I would go on the outside. They are pretty slim, so it won't be very noticable. As far as the 14423 used for an exterior door, they don't want someone using this on an outswing door because of potential wind load. In your case, that isn't an issue. They make a heavy duty version for exterior doors that may catch wind, but that would be overkill for your inswing front door. Personally, I like the G-Js a little better, but that's only 30 years of experience talking. Either one will work and both are better than a door stop on the floor in the middle of nowhere. You certainly want to stay away from those hinge type stops. All they do is bend hinges and strip screws.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:40 PM   #7
Renovation Contractor

Front Door - Door stops?

Hmm I have a question. Since all man made materials are designed to fail ie screws come out, hinge mounted stops are springy, spring stops are impractical why would you take a chance under any circumstances?

If this piece is an heirloom and an unreplceable priceless item wouldn't the best option be to relocate it to a location where it will be a focal point in a more prominent room other than the entry which sees a high volume of potentially careless traffic?

I know that this may not be practical in all situations but if I had the option of relocating the heirloom I think I would because knowing what you do about different stops and knowing their limitations if something were to ever happpen to this piece of history you would be sick to your stomach because, "you knew better"

Good luck, be safe!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Committed to providing the finest renovation services available"
Paragon is offline   Reply With Quote