Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2007, 08:15 PM   #1

Share |

french doors

Just purchased exterior french doors from home depot with a fixed sill. I am using these on interior of home to seperate living room from foyer. My question is can I remove aluminum sill and replace it with a wood sill?
glenn1644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 02:57 PM   #2
remodeling pro

french doors

Just curious for starters, why did you purchase an exterior unit to use in this location?

For the question.. sure you can remove the big sill. You want to do this before setting the unit, as it is screwed in through the sides of the jambs. To ease the handling of the unit, before removing this, lay the unit on the floor , bump it around until all the reveals look good, then screw a piece of 1 x 6 or a rip of plywood across the jambs about a foot from the bottom, this will keep the bottom from spreading when you handle it. Also check the size of the gap there is now going to be from the bottom of the doors to the ends of the jambs, as once you have removed the typical exterior sill and any sweeps on the bottom of the doors. you will probably need to trim the jambs a bit so you don't end up with an overly large gap between the doors and the finish floor.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:17 PM   #3

french doors

Thanks for helpfull info. as to why exterior door instead of interior door, I went to local stores in area and was told interior door had to be special ordered. The price of the interior door was more than exterior door??? Home depot & Lowes.
glenn1644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:31 PM   #4

french doors

I think you'll be hapier with interior french doors. I have both interior and exterior, the exterior doors will look pretty awkward inside.
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote