French Door Freezes Shut - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2009, 10:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

french door freezes shut

I have a french door at the rear of y house that freezes as soon as the weather drops below zero. I just want to know if it can be insulated better or what the possible problems could be. Thanks

Advertisement

savage_5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:12 AM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

french door freezes shut

Hi and welcome to the forum. We too have a door that the rubber seal along the bottom freezes shut. I have to use a plastic strip slid under the door to release it to let the dog out in the morning! The OUTSIDE storm door also gets a lot of condensation as well, but not the inside!
Maybe someone can help both of us?

Have a Magical Day!
DM

Advertisement

Old 12-02-2009, 10:22 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,274

french door freezes shut

I suppose you could wax the offending areas.

But I wonder if you both are having moisture problems that could cause long term damage. Moisture could be getting in in the form of condensation from inside air leaking past the door seals or you might have unseen moisture build up behind the jambs from external intrusion due to improper flashing, grade, inadequate external step down, etc. etc. So it might be a good idea to check your door seals to make sure they are working well and examine the jamb area for signs of moisture problems.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:31 AM   #4

french door freezes shut

the freezing in the door is happening around latch on the outside. The furnace vent is also positioned pretty close to it so i think that is where the moisture is coming from. Is there any thing i can put on the jamb and latch that will stop it from freezing?
savage_5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:45 AM   #5
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

french door freezes shut

well, mine is the door seal then, there's not tons of water pouring down or anything, just some moisture on the outside door.
(full height, double pane glass) but that door is going to be replaced soon too, so i'll address the seal at that time.
wonder if it'll still freeze at the bottom (outside glass door) after i fix the internal moisture going out problem....?
most likely not.

DM
Old 12-02-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,054

french door freezes shut

"jogr" give what IMO is the best answer on this one. Recently (Sept.-Oct.) I was in Fairbanks, AK for five weeks visiting family. My daughter had just bought another house (built in '76) and needed a few things done to it. One of these was a new rear entrance door put on. Doors in Alaska are not the doors I'm used to here in S. GA. Luckily a neighbor is a home GC and offered me free advice/guidance on this. I've put in many doors in my area but I learned a few tricks from him which will help me down here, or "outside" as they call it. He emphasized how important it is to properly seal the door unit when closed so that no air infiltrates, period! Air infiltration up there means some moisture will be at the infiltration point and hard freezing will result, and the door is stuck tight. Once the door unit was installed, he used a bright light from the inside (it was darker inside than out) to highlight any area(s) which light may shine through and be seen. Fortunately there were only two areas which he says are very common on doors up there, at the top and bottom lockside corners. He stated that he has seen many doors installed with these corners having that "little bit" of gap. This was the area where the built-in weatherstrip of the door meets the outside of the door. For some reason it just didn't meet at the top and bottom corners. He prefers to push the weatherstrip agains the door itself when closed, and nail through the jamb to hold the weatherstrip into place. He used "brad sized" nails, about every six inches all along the weatherstripping, all the way around. Of course up there they fill the gaps between the door framing and home framing with Great Foam--FULL, then shave off the excess. Maybe next trip I can contact him to learn about radiant floor heating, that's so nice in my daughter's home. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:59 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,022

french door freezes shut

Perhaps spraying and then wiping on some silicon spray might prevent ice that forms from sticking?
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:19 PM   #8

french door freezes shut

sure sounds like you guys have an air leak around your westher strip. that would cause cold air to meet warm air, the moisture would freeze. you could replace the weather strip, or if it is a small leak use a little silicone.

Advertisement

bigm is offline   Reply With Quote