Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
The Late Life Biker

Share |

Freestanding deck... ledger tie-in okay?

All of the arguments on both sides have pursuaded me that I'm going to overcome the deficiencies of the deck that came with my home by making the replacement a "freestanding" deck.
The portion I'm going to rebuild first fits into the corner formed by perpendicular outside walls of the two-story house. This part of the deck is fairly small (8 X 10). It's only 18 - 24 inches above grade (fairly level). And I plan to simultaneously pour piers for the posts to support a shed roof coming off one of the outside walls. Eventually I will screen it in.
But here's the question (the first of many, I'm sure). For additional lateral stability and to discourage any tendency to rack, can I tie in my "freestanding" deck in some way with the band joist/rim along the foundation wall? Maybe just nail the last deck joist to the band... not for vertical support but for rigidity? And maybe toenail the ends of the joists that meet the band on the other, perpendicular wall(s)?

I should tell you that the old ledger was NAILED to the band joist with about 50 number 8 nails... THROUGH a layer of fiberboard siding and a layer of foil-clad foam sheathing... and had NO flashing OR moisture membrane. After removing the deck planking, I tore the 8-ft. ledger off the wall with my bare hands. The nails had rusted and corroded 60% through their diameter. God be praised, I have found no rot in the rim.

Thanx for any help.
Paul

Last edited by latelifebiker; 03-21-2011 at 04:15 PM.
latelifebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:50 AM   #2

A free satnding deck is not free standing if it is connected to the house in any way. If it is connected to the house, it must have footings that prevent movement due to frost heaving. Ledgers are supposed to be connected to the house with 1/2 thru bolts or lag bolts into the rim joist. AND include proper flashing to keep it and the deck framing dry.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:20 AM   #3

http://www.lancova.com/deckinfo.pdf

Gary
Old 03-25-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
The Late Life Biker

Thanks, Gary.
It appears to indicate that in at least some jurisdictions it is acceptable to attach the rim joist of a free-standing deck to the house frame in much the same way a ledger would be attached... so long as the footings for the deck are set at the same depth as the foundation of the house.
That's what I was trying to establish. It makes eminent sense, but I wanted to see it in writing.
Now I can take this document to my county permit office.
Best. -LLB
Old 03-25-2011, 03:13 PM   #5
The Late Life Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
A free satnding deck is not free standing if it is connected to the house in any way. If it is connected to the house, it must have footings that prevent movement due to frost heaving. Ledgers are supposed to be connected to the house with 1/2 thru bolts or lag bolts into the rim joist. AND include proper flashing to keep it and the deck framing dry.
I'm not sure I see the conflict here. My free-standing deck will surely have footing set in the earth. Did you think free-standing meant sitting on concrete blocks? I'm pretty sure that's called a "floating" deck. And you're right, no one should be crazy enought to attach THAT to the house.
Thanks for the response. -LLB

Tags
deck, freestanding, ledger, nightmare