Framing Your Own Bathroom Countertop? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 694

Framing your own bathroom countertop?

I want to do something a bit different then buying a traditional bathroom cabinet.

I see quite a few pictures in magazines and showrooms where they have vessel sinks sitting on top of a table or shelf anchored to the walls with front supports. Something like these:

Is this just using standard framing (2x4 or 2x6), then put a layer of plywood over the top, then countertop over that? and apply hardwood veneer over the legs or other exposed areas and stain?

Can I do my own framing, then later on in the process hire a cabinet making professional to do the finishing touch?

Any online sources of plans or sketches to look at would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:14 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,272

You can do that if you have basic furniture making skills--

You need to narrow down your design--and one of us can walk you through this.

top photo---just a 1 1/2" thick counter top

middle photo--furniture like top--higher skill job

bottom---stud and ply box covered with stone---simple construction--expensive covering.

Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012, 08:15 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 694

Thanks. I am leaning more to this:

Except in my case, I don't have a wall on both sides to anchor the front of the frame, only one side and the back. Hence I think I need to put in two front legs.

Since right now I have no tiles, no sheet rock in yet, I am framing in some of the alcoves and notches in the walls for extra storage, I wonder if I should frame the box in now, or wait till the tiled floor is in?

If I do it now I can make it sturdy. But the sheet rock and tile will be a bit more complicated to work around the legs and the protruding frame.

If I do it later the legs will be sitting on tiles, and if I put a granite top on it that may be heavy for one tile to take?
miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:14 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,272

If you will have a wide face board (shirt board) you could build the framing into the wall and avoid the front leg--

I don't have tome to detail this now---but I'll bet one of our members can give you a few ideas on the process before I get back---
Old 07-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
Retired Cabinetmaker

Rewards Points: 156

Right now, the important thing is to provide blocking within the walls. Use 2x4's or 6's between the studs at the top and bottom of your proposed counter top structure. No need for a leg at the front as you can anchor a "Gambus bracket" within the wall and conceal it within the counter top you build
Go to
http://www.gambasbrackets.com/stock_..._brackets.html

These are extremely strong.

When building the vanity structure, it doesn't need to be made from 2x4's.
The finished weight coupled with a 300 lb possible load capacity dynamic force will come nowhere near it's capability even if built with 3/4" plywood.
The strength is in it's construction. If the vanity is secured to an end wall and the back wall and also supported by the Gambus bracket it will stand two adults sitting on it without it being compromised.
When you have found the design you like, PM me and I'll share how we used to build them in hospitals and hotels.
All the flooring, sheet rocking, Gambus bracket and tiling can be done prior to the cabinet installation.
Mike

Last edited by woody4249; 07-10-2012 at 09:57 AM.
woody4249 is offline   Reply With Quote