Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2009, 07:19 AM   #1

Share |

Framing for two doors at a 90 degree

I have two doors mtg at a 90 inside corner. If I come out only 3" (two 2X4's) on each stub will there be enough room for the mldg on the two pre-hung doors to clear in the corner?

Also, how far back on the 2X4's does the mldg go on a std pre-hung door?

Lastly, I have an option of coming off the one stub wall w/3 2x4's (instead of 2) but then the opposite side of that door opening would only have one 2x4 to nail to (it would be one 2by nailed up to an exisitng wall instead of 2. The wall and this one 2x4 would give me a good nailing surface on the outside and since it's a closet door it's not a big deal to rip the mldg on the inside of the closet to nail to the 1.5" of that 2x4. It's that a do-able option???

Thanks folks!

get2bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:41 AM   #2

Framing for two doors at a 90 degree

It really depends on the casing you use for your doors. If you use a 2 1/4" case, it will be fine and depending on how close the door jamb is to the 2x4 you could use 3 1/4" case, but you'd probably have to rip down one side of the casing where the other door's meets. You second question depends on how close the jamb of the door is to the 2x4. But it's usually about an inch, more than enough to backnail the casing to the 2x4. You don't need much, it's just to keep the casing flat against the wall. Unless you don't shim or nail the door in place, then it's the only thing holding it in...hahaha.

sausagefingers is offline   Reply With Quote