Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2013, 07:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 83

Framing a square wall

Hello,

Few questions with regards to framing square walls
1. I was wondering what are the negatives of framing basement walls that are not square. I know how to square a room (3-4-5 rule), but lets say for whatever reason I build a few walls in basement, and it doesnt end up being square to the other walls . Are there any negatives to this, will this cause any issues with anything?

For example, un square walls will show up when I install drop ceiling tiles. What other issues could arise from this.

2. How close is close to being square. When I measure out for the 3-4-5 rule (or 6-8-10), lets say I measure the 3 and 4 ft arms, and then go to measure the long arm. It should be 5',. but what if its 1/4" long or short, or even 1/2" long or short. How noticeable is that, what kind of room for error do you have on that, and still be able to consider the wall square?

Thanks,
Steve

svaic00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
"You can do anything"-Mom

Rewards Points: 500

Framing a square wall

Your flooring and trim will also have to be cut at odd angles. In the end, its your house and you will probably be the only one who knows. I will tell you that small errors at the beginning of jobs usually multiply and magnify by the end of the job.

If your measuring 4' down a wall and its 1/4" out of square guess what it is 16' down the same wall....

Take pride in your work and get it done right is what I say.

brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Framing a square wall

If you are using any kind of tile ceiling, an out of square wall will show it. Use any floor material with straight lines, like tile and it will be like hanging a sign on it that says the builder didn't know what he was doing. Even drywalling a ceiling in an out of square room is a pain in the butt.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,030

Framing a square wall

With carpet on the floor you notice less then laminate, tile, wood or lino (depending on the pattern, bigger squares are easier to hide crookedness).

The drop ceiling you can hide 2" out of square easily by making each side only 1" out and having over half a tile at each side/end. Splitting the differences the key in crooked places.

You really do want square but sometimes in renovations it is not always doable.
In a bathroom make sure the walls around a tub are square even if that throws another room off.

I have renovated houses that were 2.5" out of plumb and way out of square and after your done no one else will know.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,028

Framing a square wall

mae-ling is exactly right. try and split the difference and not take the out of square section out at one spot only. I once had to change closet tri fold doors to a set of double hung doors. Those were the worst doorway openings ever, nothing was level or plumb and the floors under the door openings were just as bad( these were 6' openings) . I quickly figured out to make the center vertical line between the doors straight and plumb and take the out of square differences out of every other side of the doors except for the center. This effectively hid all out of squareness and turned out looking good, it took forever to finish though.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,030

Framing a square wall

Instead of asking how far out you can be, just try to get it as close to square as possible. For most residential work, you can lie down a sheet of drywall or plywood on the floor and go off that. I would hold it about 4 inches off your masonry walls, That way you can run services behind studs instead of through them. Put the 8 ft. edge along the longest wall, and the 4 ft. edge the short. Run a carpenters pencil along the edge and mark the floor, then snap a line the whole length. Use three people. Have two hold each end, put your foot in the middle and snap both sides.

With care you should be able to hold 1/4 inch in 100 feet. That is plenty good enough.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote