Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2010, 03:06 PM   #1

Share |

Framing for a Pediment

Hello everyone,

I'm planning a set of gable dormers, and I'd like to make them classic looking with full pediments over the windows. Here's a shot of what I mean specifically (made of wood, though):

http://www.stonecarver.com/gargoyles...a/pediment.jpg

The question I have is, when cutting the ends of the rafters, is there anything special that needs to be done, to provide the necessary backinig? I found a picture of a large portico style pediment on an old home that was being restored, and the rafters seemed to be squared for half the end, and then plumb. This, I imagine, is to accomodate the piece of crown moulding, and then the flat bottom of the cornice. So, I'm wondering if it's necessary to provide a backing for the top moulding, or if a plumb cut is sufficient.

The moulding I'm planning on using will be about 4-5 inches, so it's not too big. But I'm just not sure how to properly support it. It seems to me that nailing the bottom only is not enough.

If any one here has any imput on pediments, or any pictures of similar work they've done, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Joe

Joe1. is offline   Reply With Quote