Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #1

Share |

Framing out a pantry

The wife now wants a pantry in the corner of the kitchen- we have a corner with nothing in it thats about 6' long by 20" deep- When I begin to build the frame for the new pantry (basically 2x4's)- Do I need to remove the sheet rock or just nail the new studs right thru to the studs in the wall? I'm basically going to frame out enough so I can put folding doors on the frame and shelves inside.
any tips are appreciated

Huskyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
Roofmaster

Framing out a pantry

You could actually just attach ledger strips to the existing wall for shelving, Dado side panels to receive the shelving and create the face out of a sheet of 3/4 inch Birch Veneer plywood. You can buy cabinet doors on the internet.

jagans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #3

Framing out a pantry

Just screw the studs through the drywall. It's better that way anyway IMO even in new construction for adding closets and valences. Recommend screws rather than nails so you don't knock the pictures off the wall and crack your drywall joints. For as much space as possible you could use 2x3s.
ocd carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #4

Framing out a pantry

Is a curious size, 6' long and 20" deep. Is in my mind just going to be a bump in the wall.
You will need 6' of doors to access it as you would not be able to walk into it.
Lust saying, it would be nice to see a photo of the area. I would try to avoid a 6' x20" bump with folding doors on it at all cost myself. I would rather have it open attractive custom shelfs and maybe not 6' of bifold doors showing.

Or come out in the corner 20" one way and then build a wall out. Then go down the wall a couple feet and build out further then 20" Yhen another wall with a door frame in it at a angle to connect the 2 new walls.

I would want to try and create a usable corner and something that when you opened the door, you could actually take a step into and have shelfs on three sides.
Just saying, those current dimensions will be less then a coat closet and would try to get more creative on the layout of it.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
Bill Kearney

Framing out a pantry

I certainly wouldn't be using 2x4's for this sort of thing. Better to use decently quality plywood and put a nice wood face frame on it. 2x4 are just going to waste space and look crappy inside. At least with nicely finished plywood you're getting the rigidity of the box and a surface inside you can finish (paint, stain, whatever). The face frame built on the front would hide the edges of the plywood and likewise give you nice look. As others have pointed out, there are a lot of places online that can sell you doors. You might want to start there to find out how the doors would lay out first. Check whether prices are better for certain sizes, otherwise custom sizes to fit something built on-site might be a lot more. Then you can adjust how you build the plywood box and face frame to better fit those door sizes.

But don't rule out getting ready to assemble cabinets. With them you get stuff like pre-drilled shelf holes and the like. That and filler side panels and moldings already stained to match the cabinet finish. Nothing says you couldn't use some upper wall cabinets along the whole area. Just plan for a toe kick base to be built under them.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote